DrPH, Johns Hopkins University, 1986
MPH, Johns Hopkins University
My research focuses on improving through nutritional means the health and survival of infants, children, adolescents and women of reproductive age in underserved populations, with special interests in the assessment and prevention of micronutrient deficiencies (especially vitamin A) and protein-energy malnutrition. Most of my research has involved conducting population-based epidemiologic studies and intervention trials. In recent years, my work has broadened to explore effects of developmental nutrition exposures later in life and nutriproteomics as a platform for micronutrient deficiency assessment.
Honors and Awards
Kellogg International Nutrition Prize 2007
G. Malcolm Trout Lecture, Michigan State University,2009
Avanelle Kirksey Lecture, Purdue University,2017
James Allen Olson Lecture, American Society of Nutrition, 2018
Publications that reflect research emphasis and public health priorities of interest.
- Sommer A, West KP Jr. Vitamin A Deficiency: Health, Survival and Vision. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- West KP Jr, Shamim AA, Mehra S, Labrique AB, Ali H, Shaikh S, Klemm RDW, Wu LSF, Mitra M, Haque R, Hanif AAM, Massie AB, Merrill RD, Schulze KJ, Christian P. Effect of maternal multiple micronutrient versus iron-folic acid supplementation on infant mortality and adverse birth outcomes in rural Bangladesh: the JiVitA-3 randomized trial. JAMA 2014;312:2649-2658.
- West KP Jr, Cole RN, Shrestha S, Schulze KJ, Lee SE, Betz J, Nonyane BAS, Wu LSF, Yager JD, Groopman JD, Christian P. A plasma ?-tocopherome can be identified from proteins associated with vitamin E status in school aged children of Nepal. J Nutr 2015;145:2646-2656..
- WHO Neonatal Vitamin A Supplementation Evidence Group: West KP Jr, Wu LSF, Ali H, Klemm RDW, Edmond K, Hurt L, Kirkwood B, Newton S, Shannon C, Taneja S, Mazumder S, Bhatia K, Bhandari I, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Humphrey J, Agoestina T, Soofi S, Ariff S, Bhatti Z, Cousens S, Bhutta ZA, Ntozini R, Masanja H, Smith ER, Muhihi A, Fawzi W, Bahl R, Martines, J, Yoshida S. Early neonatal vitamin A supplementation and infant mortality: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Dis Child 2018. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2018-315242.187-272.
- Gernand AD, Schulze KJ, Stewart CP, West KP Jr, Christian P. Micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy worldwide: health effects and prevention. Nature Rev Endocrinol, 2016;12:274-289.