DrPH, Johns Hopkins University, 1986
MPH, Johns Hopkins University
My research focuses on improving through nutritional means the health and survival of infants, children, adolescents and women of reproductive age in underserved populations, with special interests in the assessment and prevention of micronutrient deficiencies, with a focus on vitamin A and E deficiencies, poor growth and protein-energy malnutrition. Most of my research has involved the conduct of population-based epidemiologic studies and intervention trials, particularly in Indonesia, Nepal (founding the Nepal Nutrition Intervention Project-Sarlahi, or NNIPS, in 1988) and Bangladesh (co-founding the JiVitA Project in 2000). In recent years, my work has broadened to explore effects of developmental nutrition exposures on health later in life and plasma proteomics as a platform for nutritional assessment.
Honors and Awards
Inaugural George G. Graham Professor of Infant and Child Nutrition, 2005- present
Kellogg International Nutrition Prize 2007
G. Malcolm Trout Lecture, Michigan State University,2009
Avanelle Kirksey Lecture, Purdue University,2017
James Allen Olson Lecture, American Society of Nutrition, 2018
Fellow of the American Society of Nutrition, Class of 2020
Publications that reflect diversity of research and public health priorities over the past 30 years.
- Sommer A, West KP Jr. Vitamin A Deficiency: Health, Survival and Vision. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- West KP Jr, Shamim AA, Mehra S, Labrique AB, Ali H, Shaikh S, Klemm RDW, Wu LSF, Mitra M, Haque R, Hanif AAM, Massie AB, Merrill RD, Schulze KJ, Christian P. Effect of maternal multiple micronutrient versus iron-folic acid supplementation on infant mortality and adverse birth outcomes in rural Bangladesh: the JiVitA-3 randomized trial. JAMA 2014;312:2649-2658.
- West KP Jr, Cole RN, Shrestha S, Schulze KJ, Lee SE, Betz J, Nonyane BAS, Wu LSF, Yager JD, Groopman JD, Christian P. A plasma ?-tocopherome can be identified from proteins associated with vitamin E status in school aged children of Nepal. J Nutr 2015;145:2646-2656..
- WHO Neonatal Vitamin A Supplementation Evidence Group: West KP Jr, Wu LSF, Ali H, Klemm RDW, Edmond K, Hurt L, Kirkwood B, Newton S, Shannon C, Taneja S, Mazumder S, Bhatia K, Bhandari I, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Humphrey J, Agoestina T, Soofi S, Ariff S, Bhatti Z, Cousens S, Bhutta ZA, Ntozini R, Masanja H, Smith ER, Muhihi A, Fawzi W, Bahl R, Martines, J, Yoshida S. Early neonatal vitamin A supplementation and infant mortality: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Dis Child 2018. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2018-315242.187-272.
- Gernand AD, Schulze KJ, Stewart CP, West KP Jr, Christian P. Micronutrient deficiencies in pregnancy worldwide: health effects and prevention. Nature Rev Endocrinol, 2016;12:274-289.
See all publications by Keith P. West