PhD, Clinical Psychology
Syracuse University, 1995
MEd, Counseling Psychology
McGill University, 1988
Bayview – Dept of Medicine – Rheumatology,
Joint appointment – Dept of Medicine – Pulmonary and Critical Care
Johns Hopkins Rheumatology
5200 Eastern Avenue
Mason F. Lord Building
Center Tower, Suite 430
Baltimore, MD 21224
(410) 550-7775, (410) 550-0578
Dr. Susan Bartlett is Associate Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, MD. Dr. Bartlett is a licensed clinical psychologist and faculty member in the Division of Rheumatology and Johns Hopkins Arthritis Center. Her primary research and clinical interests focus on the effect of weight loss and exercise on arthritis, mind-body effects of physical activity and how psychosocial factors influence adherence to medical treatments. Dr. Bartlett's research studies are funded by the National Institutes of Health and the American College of Rheumatology.
1994 Society of Behavioral Medicine, 15th Annual Scientific Sessions, April 13-16, Boston, MA. Research Citation Award.
2001 American Thoracic Society. Behavioral Sciences Research Citation Award.
2004 Lawren Daltroy Fellowship in Patient-Clinician Communication. American College of Rheumatology.
2005 Editor. Clinical Care in the Rheumatic Diseases. 3rd edition. American College of Rheumatology.
Society of Behavioral Medicine.
Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, American College of Rheumatology.
American Thoracic Society.
· Social Sciences, Nursing and Epidemiology and Methods (SNEM4) February 2001, October, 2001.
· NHLBI Special Emphasis Panel, Clinical Trials Review Group February 2001, July 2001.
· NHLBA "Translational Behavioral Science Research Consortia" Review Group. June 2002.
· NIDDK Environmental Approaches to the Prevention of Obesity. August, 2002.
· NHLBI Demonstration and Education Research Grant (R18), Special Emphasis Panel, September, 2002.
· National Center for Research Resources (ZRR1 CM-8-01), Special Emphasis Panel, Sept. 2004.
· Epidemiology of Diabetes, Kidney and Infectious Diseases (ZRG1 HOP-N (90) (S), February 2005.
· Kidney, Nutrition, Obesity, and Diabetes Epidemiology (KNOD) study section (ZRG1 HOP-N), May 2005 through present.
· NHLBI's Demonstration and Education Research (R18) applications. September, 2005.
· NHLBI Special Emphasis Panel/Scientific Review Group October, 2005.
· National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Setting an Agenda for Musculoskeletal Research, Bethesda MD, January 9-10, 2006.
· NIDDK Special Emphasis Panel, ZDK1 GRB-8 01 1, Small Clinical Grants in Obesity and Nutrition, July 2006.
Andersen RE, Blair SN, Cheskin LJ, Bartlett SJ. Encouraging patients to become more physically active: the physician's role. Ann Intern Med 1997; 127(5):395-400.
Wadden TA, Vogt RA, Andersen RE, Bartlett SJ, Foster GD, Kuehnel RH et al. Exercise in the treatment of obesity: effects of four interventions on body composition, resting energy expenditure, appetite, and mood. J Consult Clin Psychol 1997; 65(2):269-277.
Andersen RE, Crespo CJ, Bartlett SJ, Cheskin LJ, Pratt M. Relationship of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level of fatness among children: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA 1998; 279(12):938-942.
Bartlett SJ, Faith MS, Fontaine KR, Cheskin LJ, Allison DB. Is the prevalence of successful weight loss and maintenance higher in the general community than the research clinic? Obes Res 1999; 7(4):407-413.
Bartlett SJ, Kolodner K, Butz AM, Eggleston P, Malveaux FJ, Rand CS. Maternal depressive symptoms and emergency department use among inner-city children with asthma. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2001; 155(3):347-353.
Bartlett SJ, Piedmont RL, Bilderback A, Matsumoto A, Bathon JM. Spirituality, well-being and quality of life in persons with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research 2003; 49(6);778-783.
Bartlett SJ, Krishnan J, Riekert K, Butz A, Rand CS. Maternal Depressive Symptoms and Adherence to Therapy in Inner-City Children with Asthma. Pediatrics 2004; 113(2):229-237.
Bartlett SJ. Losing weight: practical strategies for helping overweight patients. Physician and Sports Medicine. 2004; 31(11):29-36
Fontaine KR, Bartlett SJ, Heo M. Are health care professionals advising adults with arthritis to become more physically active? Arthritis Rheum 2005; 53(2):279-283.Arthritis Care & Research.