Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) at JHSPH
Who can sign up?
All JHU employees and students are eligible to sign up for 24 weekly deliveries of fresh,organic, local Food Alliance Certified produce from One Straw Farm.
How does it work?
Signing up for the CSA is like signing up for a produce subscription service. CSA members pay a farmer at the beginning of the growing season for a share of the anticipated harvest. This helps the farmer purchase seeds and other materials needed to plan, prepare, and plant the crops. Once harvesting begins, the members receive weekly assortments of fresh, local produce.
As with prior years, for every 10 shares purchased at JHSPH, One Straw Farm donates 1 share to an organization in Baltimore that provides emergency food assistance (read more).
Beginning on June 6th, produce will be delivered to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health every Monday, where pick-up occurs from 3:15-5:15pm in the parking garage below JHSPH on Washington & McElderry Streets (map). The season lasts 24 weeks from June 6th – November 14th.
What can I expect?
Each week, you can expect 8 different varieties of organic produce in a share (enough for a family of 4). Some weeks will include “bonus” items if the harvest is especially fruitful. The produce selection changes weekly, depending on what’s in season locally. You will receive an email on the day of pick-up to notify you of that week’s selection.
2016 Season: June 6 - Nov 14 (24 weekly pick-ups)
- Price if paid by April 15: $600 (equivalent to $25 per week)
- Price if paid after April 15: $650 (equivalent to $27 per week)
- If joining after the season starts, the price is prorated
- Sign-up and Pick-up instructions
*Please note that items vary by season and growing conditions. For seasonal availability and approximate item quantity, please see the harvest chart on the One Straw Farm website.
Example share – One week’s pick-up could include:
- Early Summer: 2 boxes of strawberries, 1 head of romaine lettuce, 1 bunch of kale, 1 bunch of spinach, 1 bunch of turnips, 1 bunch of radishes, 1 bunch of arugula, 1 bunch of oregano
- Late Summer: 1 bag of green beans, 6 ears of corn, 3 cucumbers, 1 box of cherry tomatoes, 1 bunch of carrots, 1 bag of mixed peppers, 1 head of red leaf lettuce, 1 watermelon
- Fall: 1 cauliflower, 2 broccoli, 1 butternut squash, 8 roma tomatoes, 1 bag of sweet potatoes, 1 head of green leaf lettuce, 1 large eggplant, 5 poblano peppers, 1 red cabbage