International Rescue Committee
3516 Eastern Ave
Baltimore, MD 21224
PHONE: (410) 327-1885
FAX: (410) 558-3199
CONTACT: Kafiya Ismail, Volunteer Coordinator
Function of Organization/Site:
The IRC provides varied and numerous relief services to refugees from across the globe, including assistance with health care, education and reuniting families. Here in the U.S., assistance is provided to new arrivals to help them become settled and self-reliant in their new community.
- Tutoring English in a classroom setting.
- Helping refugee children with school enrollments or immunizations.
- Taking a refugee family for a day of sightseeing around your local community or to a community event.
- Educating refugee families on local transportation systems.
- Assisting refugee families with financial management such as opening a bank account, writing checks or paying bills.
- Helping refugees with employment concerns such as filling applications, preparing for interviews and finding employment opportunities within a community.
- Picking up donated goods from local donors.
- Assisting IRC staff with casework activities or paperwork.
Internships are available on an on-going basis throughout the year. Examples of past internships include: Asylee Program Intern, Case Management Intern, Employment Program Intern, and Health Communications & Outreach Intern.