Public Health Applications for Student Experience (PHASE)
PHASE is a non-paid, for-credit internship program.
PHASE is sponsored in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH), the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Mid-Atlantic Public Health Training Center (MAPHTC).
PHASE offers opportunities for Bloomberg School public health graduate students to apply academic knowledge and theory in real-world professional practice settings. The primary goal of PHASE is to enrich Bloomberg School academic degree programs with hands-on public health practice experience.
Key Components of the PHASE Internship
- A public health practice experience involving average of 6-8 hours/week spent at the hosting agency) over 2-3 academic terms.
- Attendance at the PHASE orientation lunch.
- Attendance at check-in meetings once a term with PHASE course faculty.
- Submission of PHASE Student Monthly Update Reports on the 15th of each month.
- An internship agreement form to be completed with the preceptor.
- A concept paper outlining goals and intent of project.
- A final paper highlighting the student's experience, results, and lessons learned.
- A 15-minute oral presentation of the student's experience at the mandatory final PHASE symposium at DHMH. Symposium attendance includes course faculty, preceptors and other interested public health practitioners and academicians.
Important Assignments and Deadlines for 2014-2015
|Assignment||% of Grade||Deadlines|
|Round 1||Round 2|
|Internship Agreement Form||5%||November 7, 2014||January 30, 2015|
|Concept Paper||15%||November 24, 2014||February 16, 2015|
|Monthly Update Report||5%||15th of every month||15th of every month|
|PHASE Check-in Meetings||5%||Varies - see next table||Varies - see next table|
|Final Paper / Oral Presentation PPT||25%||March 13, 2015 (ending 3rd term), May 4, 2015 (ending 4th term)||May 5, 2015|
|PHASE Symposium at DHMH||25%||May 8, 2015||May 8, 2015|
|Student Performance Evaluation (completed by preceptor/Course Faculty)||20%||March 30, 2015 (ending 3rd term), May 1, 2015 (ending 4th term)||May 1, 2015|
|Meetings*||Round 1||Round 2|
|Orientation Lunch||October 29, 2014||January 21, 2015|
|Check-in Term 2||December 3, 2014||--|
|Check-in Term 3||February 25, 2015||February 25, 2015|
|Check-in Term 4||April 15, 2015||April 15, 2015|
*Required to attend meetings for the terms enrolled in PHASE. Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
Review the Course Syllabus (2014-2015):
- Round 1 syllabus for 2014-2015 is currently being updated. Please feel free to review the 2013-2014 Round 2 Course Syllabus. For more information, please contact Jennifer Le at firstname.lastname@example.org.