Skip Navigation

Giving

FAQs

What are some of the School’s most urgent needs?

How will the School use my gift, and can I designate where it is spent?

Will my gift really make a difference?

What are the tax benefits of making a gift to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health?

What are the different ways I can pay for my gift to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health?

How can I update my address?

What are some of the School’s most urgent needs?

Student scholarships. We urgently need to increase the number of scholarships we can offer to attract the most outstanding students to study here. Although 76 percent of our students received at least partial scholarships last year, we lost 30 percent of worthy applicants to peer schools because we were not able to offer scholarships of sufficient value.

Faculty support. We need to increase available funding for recruitment and retention of our world-class faculty, and to support their innovative research and the translation of discovery into policy.

Field experience. We need to help students and faculty with travel costs incurred to gain experience and conduct research wherever the most important health problems take them. Students can apply for up to $2,000 each to help cover costs for international or domestic travel that yields extremely rewarding and enriching field experiences that may otherwise be unavailable.

How will the School use my gift, and can I designate where it is spent?

Your unrestricted gift can be used wherever it's needed most. You may also designate your gift for specific funds and projects, such as the School’s response to Ebola, work in preventing child sexual abuse, efforts to eradicate malaria, advocacy for refugee health and disaster relief, and future discoveries to control emerging and recurring infectious diseases.

The online giving form offers several options for where to direct your gift:

In addition, if you wish to support a specific fund, department, center or institute, you may type its name in the form's Comments section.

For additional questions about designating your gift, please email us or call us at 410-955-5194.

Johns Hopkins appears to be a wealthy university. Will my gift really make a difference?

Private gifts are more essential than ever in this uncertain funding environment. Income from the School's endowment supports just 2.8 percent of annual expenditures. Thus, regular annual gifts of any amount are crucial in helping us meet the other 97.2 percent of funding needs. Since the School is working to improve the health of people around the world, even the smallest gift can make a significant difference in the lives of those served by the School’s research and outreach. In the longer term, we are working to increase the School’s endowment to provide a greater stream of unrestricted income in perpetuity.

What are the tax benefits of making a gift to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health?

Every gift to Johns Hopkins University, including those to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, is tax deductible. However you choose to make your gift, the University mails a receipt to you for your tax records. For planned gifts, such as bequests, trusts and other gifts providing an income, contact the JHU Office of Gift Planning to learn more about additional estate and tax benefits.

What are the different ways I can pay for my gift to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health?

Credit card gifts may be made today through our secure online site or by calling 410-955-5194.

Checks may be made out to Johns Hopkins University and mailed to:

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Office of External Affairs—Development
615 N. Wolfe Street, E2132
Baltimore, MD 21205
United States of America

How can I update my address?

To update any of your information, including changes of address, name or marital status, please contact us by email or mail us a letter addressed to::

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Office of External Affairs—Development
615 N. Wolfe Street, E2132
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
United States of America

If you have any additional questions, please contact us, or make your gift online.