Gundula Bosch, PhD
- Program Director
- Molecular Microbiology and Immunology (Primary)
- School of Education (Joint)
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Technical University of Munich and Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry, 2003
MS, Technical University of Munich, 1998
Dr. Gundula Bosch is a program director, educator and educational researcher in the Department of Molecular Microbiology & Immunology, and an adjunct faculty member for adult learning and educational scholarship at the School of Education.
Her scholarly interests center around the development and oversight of innovative science and health education programs, specifically the “R3” Science Education Initiative, that strives to bring more critical and philosophic thinking, interdisciplinary practice applications as well as social responsibility into the way we teach students in the life and public health sciences, and beyond.
She earned her PhD in Biology from the Technical University of Munich and the Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry, and is currently finishing her Master’s degree in Education for the Health Professions at the JH School of Education.
Honors and Awards
AWARDS & HONORS
Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Online Teaching by the Student Assembly of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health (2016)
JHU SOURCE Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Award (2016)
Induction to the Delta Omega Public Health Honorary Society (2016)
Recognition for Teaching Excellence by the Dean’s Office of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health (2015)
GRANTS & FELLOWSHIPS
Educational Research Grant by the Johns Hopkins Gateway Science Initiative (2013 – 2015)
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute (2009 – 2011)
Future Faculty Teaching Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (2007)
- Graduate Science and Public Health Education
- Philosophy of Science
- Educational Research
- Education Reform
- Adult Learning
- Human Development
- Program Development
- Curriculum Design
- Infectious Diseases
- Structural Biology
Selected Publications and Oral Conference Contributions:
- Bosch G., De Soto P., Gould S. (2016): Teaching science like we do science: Focus on evidence-based teaching. 60th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Nemetski S.M., Cardozo T.J., Bosch G, Weltzer R., et al. (2015): Inhibition by stabilization: Targeting the Plasmodium falciparum Aldolase-TRAP complex. Malaria Journal. 14, 324 ff.
- Bosch, G., Werapitiya, D. (2012): Engaging student participation in journal club discussions: Use of wikis in a blended learning approach. 18th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA.
- Bosch G., Kalyuzhnaya M. G., Wang T., Latypova E., Lidstrom M. E., Hackett M., Chistoserdova L. (2009): Insights into the physiology of Methylotenera mobilis as revealed by metagenome-based shotgun proteomic analysis. Microbiology 155, 1103-1110.
- Bosch G., Skovran E. C., Xia Q., Wang T., Taub F., Miller J. A., Lidstrom M. E., Hackett M. (2008): Comprehensive proteomics of Methylobacterium extorquens AM1 metabolism under single carbon and non-methylotrophic conditions. Proteomics 8, 3494-3505.
- R3 Graduate Science Initiative