Melinda Kay Munos, PhD
- Assistant Professor
- Division: Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
Center & Institute Affiliations
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2012
MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2009
BS, Stanford University, 2003
My research aims to improve maternal, child, and neonatal health in low-resource settings. Most of my research focuses on (1) large-scale effectiveness evaluations of maternal, neonatal, and child health (MNCH) programs to estimate and explain the impact of these programs on mortality, nutrition, and intermediate outcomes, and (2) efforts to improve the measurement of coverage and quality of care for MNCH interventions.
Honors and Awards
Delta Omega (2012)
Sommer Scholars (2011)
Robert and Helen Wright Fellowship in International Health (2010)
NIH Training Grant in International Maternal and Child Health (2009)
- child health
- neonatal health
- maternal health
- intervention coverage
- quality of care
- West Africa
Selected publications from the last 5 years
- Munos MK, Guiella G, Roberton T, Maiga A, Tiendrebeogo A, Bryce J, Baya B. The prospective independent evaluation of the Rapid Scale-Up in Burkina Faso. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016; 94(3):584-95.
- Munos MK, Koffi A, Traoré MG, Diakité M, Sangho H, and the Mali RMM Working Group. Strengthening community networks for vital event reporting: community volunteer reporting of vital events in rural Mali. PLOS One 2015; 10(11):e0132164.
- Munos MK, Mullany LC, Maiga A, Baya B, and Bryce J. Coverage and determinants of newborn feeding practices in rural Burkina Faso. J Perinatol 2014; 34(5):369-74.
- Fischer-Walker CL, Munos MK, and Black RE. Quantifying the indirect effects of key child survival interventions for pneumonia, diarrhea, and measles. Epidemiol Infect 2013; 141(1):115-131
- Munos MK, Fischer-Walker CL, and Black RE. The effect of oral rehydration solution and recommended home fluids on diarrhea mortality. Int J Epidemiol 2010; 39(Supplement 1): i75-87.