Keri N. Althoff, PhD
- Associate Professor
- Division: General Epidemiology and Methodology
- School of Medicine (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- AIDS Linked To the Intravenous Experience (ALIVE)
- Center for Global Health
- Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study
- Women's Interagency HIV Study (WIHS)
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2008
MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2005
BA, University of Iowa, 2001
My main research interests is aging in the context of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Non-AIDS related aging outcomes of interest include cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, end-stage renal disease, cancer, liver disease, and influenza vaccination and infection. My secondary interest is in monitoring the quality of HIV cinical care in the United States using longitudinal cohort studies by assessing trends in treatment, viral load, CD4 count, and other indicators specified in the National HIV Strategy and captured in the HIV Care Continuum.
Other research interests include health disparities in special populations and epidemiologic methodology issues in causal inference of treatment effects. I investigate these topics using nested study designs in the MACS, WIHS, ALIVE and NA-ACCORD cohorts of HIV-infected and -uninfected individuals.
Honors and Awards
2012 Johns Hopkins University Center for AIDS Research outstanding young investigator delegate to the National Center for AIDS Research Symposium, San Francisco, CA
2011 Elected to the Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society, Alpha Chapter, Johns Hopkins Boomberg School of Public Health
2007 The Dorothy and Arthur Samet Award for outstanding service to the department and community, Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- cardiovascular disease
- quality of care
- HIV Care Continuum
- United States
- health disparities
- causal inference
Select publications from the past 5 years:
- Althoff KN, Rebeiro P, Brooks JT, Buchacz K, Gebo K, Martin J, Hogg R, Thorne JE, Klein M, Gill MJ, Sterling TR, Yehia Y, Silverberg MJ, Crane H, Justice AC, Gange SJ, Moore RD, Kitahata MM and Horberg MA for the North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design (NA-ACCORD). Disparities in the quality of HIV care when using US Department of Health and Human Services Indicators. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2014;58(8):1185-1189.
- Althoff KN, McGinnis KA, Wyatt CM, Freiberg MS, Gilbert C, Oursler KK, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Dubrow R, Park LS, Skanderson M, Shiels MS, Gange SJ, Gebo KA and Justice AC for the Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS). Comparison of risk and age at diagnosis of myocardial infarction, end-stage renal disease, and non-AIDS-defining cancer in HIV-infected vs uninfected adults. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2015;60(4):627-38.
- Althoff KN, Buchacz K, Hall HI, Zhang J, Hanna DB, Rebeiro P*, Gange SJ, Moore RD, Kitahata M, Gebo KA, Martin J, Justice AC, Horberg M, Hogg RS, Sterling TR, Cescon A, Klein MB, Thorne J, Crane H, Mugavero MJ, Napravnik S, Kirk GD, Jacobson LP, and Brooks JT for The North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design. US trends in antiretroviral therapy use, HIV RNA plasma viral Loads, and CD4 T-lymphocyte cell counts among HIV-infected persons, 2000 to 2008. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2012; 157(5):325-35.
- Althoff KN, Justice A, Gange SJ, Moore RD, Deeks SG, Saag MS, Silverberg MJ, Gill J, Lau B, Napravnik S, Tedaldi E, Klein MB and Gebo KA, for The North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design. Virologic and immunologic response to antiretroviral therapy, by age and regimen class. AIDS 2010;24(16)2469-79.
- Althoff KN, Gange SJ, Klein MB, Brooks JT, Hogg RS, Bosch RJ, Horberg MA, Saag MS, Kitahata MM, Justice AC, Gebo KA, Eron JJ, Rourke SB, Gill MJ, Rodriguez B, Sterling TR, Calzavara LM, Deeks SG, Martin JN, Rachlis AR, Napravnik S, Jacobson LP, Kirk GD, Collier AC, Benson CA, Silverberg MJ, Kushel M, Goedert JJ, McKaig RG, Van Rompaey SE, Crane JM, Lau B, Freeman AM, Abraham AG, Zhang J, and Moore RD, for The North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design. Late presentation for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) care in the United States and Canada. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010;50(11):1512-20.