PhD, Johns Hopkins University, 2001
MPH, University of Rochester, 1989
My research exploits the complementary aspects of the epidemiological, toxicological, and environmental sciences to develop and refine quantitative risk assessment methods to improve the public’s health. The new concepts of cumulative risk assessment present an opportunity to create interdisciplinary approaches to public and environmental health because of the multiple determinants of health framework that serves as its foundation. My work addresses the health effects of exposure to chemical mixtures including whether differential exposure to mixtures contributes to racial and ethnic health disparities. Current US environmental policies address one chemical at a time while actual exposures occur as multiple chemical mixtures. Through my research I seek to inform environmental policies that account for multiple chemical and non chemical exposures.
Honors and Awards
American Association for the Advancement of Science Risk Policy Fellowship, 2001 Centers for Disease Control Dissertation Grant, 1999 Risk Sciences and Public Policy Institute Scholarship, 1999 Society for Risk Analysis Student Abstract Award, 1998 Avoca Rod and Gun Club Environmental Scholarship, 1996 Phi Beta Kappa, 1987
Highlights of recent work advancing environmental public health in communities and the science and practice of risk assessment.
- Fox, M.A., Nachman, K.E., Anderson, B., Lam, J., Resnick, B. (2016) Meeting the public health challenge of protecting private wells: proceedings and recommendations from an expert panel workshop. Science of the Total Environment 554-555: 113-118. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.02.128
- Fox, M.A., Sheehan, M.C., Burke, T.A. (2015) A risk assessment approach for policy evaluation: New Jersey case studies. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 21(8): 2258-2272. DOI:10.1080/10807039.2015.1046982
- Fox, M.A. (2014) Project Update: Evaluating the Community Health Legacy of WWI Chemical Weapons Testing. Journal of Community Health doi:10.1007/s10900-014-9848-4
- White R.H., Fox M.A., Cooper G., Bateson T., Burke T.A., Samet J.M. (2013) Workshop Report: Evaluation of Epidemiological Data Consistency for Application in Regulatory Risk Assessment. The Open Epidemiology Journal 6:1-8. Available: http://www.benthamscience.com/open/toepij/articles/V006/1TOEPIJ.pdf
- Chari R.*, Burke T.A., White R.H., Fox M.A. (2012) Integrating Susceptibility into Environmental Policy: An Analysis of the National Ambient Air Quality Standard for Lead.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health9(4):1077-1096. doi:10.3390/ijerph9041077