March 13, 2010
Rising to the Challenge
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
1700 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, California 90401
2.00 - 7.00 p.m.
Join President Ron Daniels and engage with Johns Hopkins experts as they grapple with some of the most pressing global challenges of the day.
- Meet our 14th president as he shares his vision.
- Hear from faculty and alumni who will be offering their own unique insights into exciting new developments that will shape the future of the sciences and health care, geopolitics, and humanities.
- Enjoy cocktails and conversations and the opportunity to network with Johns Hopkins leaders, panel speakers, alumni, and friends.
Schedule of Events
- Registration: 2:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Welcome: 2:30 to 3:00 p.m.
Meet Ronald J. Daniels, the 14th President of Johns Hopkins University.
Experience on film one student’s personal rise to the challenge.
- Meeting Today’s Challenges: 3:15 to 5:20 p.m.
Hear firsthand from Johns Hopkins’ experts on the following panel discussions.
- The New Biological Revolution
Physics and chemistry. Genomics and proteomics. Nanobiotechnology. Cascading advances in our understanding of basic life processes will profoundly affect how we promote health, combat disease, and interact with our planet’s ecosystem. Once again, Johns Hopkins scientists and researchers are redefining the boundaries of the life sciences. How will this new understanding and these new tools of science affect us as individuals?
- Future Tense Founding president Daniel Coit gilman imagined the university as an engine of perpetual human advancement, capable of confronting and conquering the tremendous economic, geopolitical, and moral challenges of the day. Johns Hopkins has been–and remains–a change agent for the future. in an era of unprecedented new global challenges demanding the utmost human ingenuity, what can the best minds of this generation offer to guide us?
- Here at Home: 5:30 to 6:00 p.m.
Join us as we salute Californians who embody the questing spirit of Johns Hopkins and highlight the next generation of leaders rising to the challenges of the 21st century.
- Cocktails and Conversations: 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Mix and mingle with Johns Hopkins leaders, panel speakers, alumni, and friends.