It's not enough to speak, but to speak true.
— William Shakespeare
The Moore Center aims to serve as a source of objective, evidence-based information for policy and press activities.
Available for Interviews
Dr. Elizabeth Letourneau is available for interviews by appointment. To schedule an interview, please contact Communication Associate Amanda Ruzicka at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moore Center Headlines
- 90.5 WESA Pittsburgh (NPR): Pittsburgh diocese may have improved sex abuse prevention efforts, more work needs to be done
- Psychology Today: Outrage and disbelief: Sex abuse in the Catholic Church
- Daily Beast: Columbia University student fought against sexual violence—until he was charged with child sex crimes
- HealthDay: Tragedy of child sexual abuse takes financial toll, too
- Psychology Today: Crisis on the southern border: We're putting kids in danger
- Psychology Today: Victims of sexual abuse face a lifetime of costly problems
- Sports Illustrated: Prospect and pariah
- Press Release: One year's losses for child sexual abuse in U.S. top $9 billion, new study suggests
- Baltimore Sun: Women from "The Keepers" discuss experience at Baltimore conference on child sexual abuse prevention
- Johns Hopkins Magazine: When the abuser is a child, too
- Psychology Today: Will reporting laws in Michigan prevent child sexual abuse?
- Press Release: Child sexual abuse in U.S. costs up to $1.5 million per child death
- Juvenile Justice Information Exchange: Young sex offenders shouldn't have to register; It's ineffective and hurts everyone around them
- Press Release: Children on sex offender registries at greater risk for suicide attempts, study suggests
- Post-Crescent: Are Halloween restrictions on sex offenders useful or useless?
- QCOnline: Beware holiday that scares adults
- Post and Courier: Should minors convicted of certain sex crimes be required to register as offenders for life? S.C. supreme court rules yes as attorneys, researchers cast doubts
- CBS News: Childhood sex abuse could accelerate puberty in girls, study finds
- Psychology Today: Should children register as sex offenders?
- Sky News: Not all child abusers are monsters: experts
- 9News: Issues in dealing with children who abuse
- Psychology Today: Organizations must do more to prevent child sexual abuse
- The Huffington Post: 10 Take-aways from this year's TEDMED conference
- Psychology Today: Can programs like "Help Wanted" prevent child sexual abuse?
- MPR News (Minnesota Public Radio): Could Danny Heinrich scuttle ideas for reforming Minnesota's sex offender program?
- New York Post: Grown-ups’ new schemes to ruin Halloween
- Psychology Today: Prevention is possible! Exploring the public health approach
- Star Tribune: Counterpoint: After Jacob, work harder to prevent child sexual abuse
- Psychology Today: A different perspective for stopping child sexual abuse
- New York Times (Sunday Review): Punishment that doesn't fit the crime
- The Hill: Marking kids for life on sex offender registries
- Pacific Standard: What's the real rate of sex crime recidivism?
- Slate: What's wrong with the Brock Turner sentence?
- WYPR's Midday with Sheilah Kast: Reforming the sex offender registry
- Maryland Reporter: State roundup, May 12, 2016
- The New Yorker: The list
- Pacific Standard: Are we properly dealing with young sex offenders?
- Delaware Lawyer: A lifetime label: Juvenile sex offender registration
- Rising to Challenge: The campaign for Johns Hopkins: To serve and prevent
- Psychology Today: Sympathy for the deviant
- Stateline: States slowly scale back juvenile sex offender registries
- Reuters: Tide turns against U.S. residency restrictions on sex offenders
- Philly Voice: Tide turns against U.S. residency restrictions on sex offenders
- San Angelo Standard Times: States rethink sex crime files
- Fox 45 Baltimore: Ryan T. Shields is interviewed regarding a juvenile charged with assault
- Baltimore Sun: Study of Baltimore County: Fewer sex offenses reported in neighborhoods with more registered sex offenders
- Upworthy: A protective treatment program for pedophiles in Germany is raising some eyebrows
- Island Packet: Ex-Beaufort county teacher who molested 9 boys could soon be free
- Baltimore Business Journal: People on the Move - Stephen Moore, MD, MPH appointed to chair JHSPH health advisory board
- Washington Post: The Jared Fogel case: Why we understand so little about child sexual abuse
- Bend Bulletin: The Jared Fogel case: Why we understand so little about child sexual abuse
- Press Release: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health welcomes new health advisory board chair
- Newsweek: The hunt for child sex abusers is happening in the wrong places
- NPR's On Point with Tom Ashbrook: Secrets and realities of US child abuse
- Freakonomics Radio: Making sex offenders pay—and pay and pay and pay
- Observador (Portuguese newspaper): They distributed papers to warn you that I was a pedophile
- 10 Firsts in 10 Decades: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Pennsylvania's juvenile sex offender registry is unconstitutional, state supreme court rules
- Vox.com: This woman is trying to stop sex offenders by helping them
- Chicago Bureau: Studies, experts question effect of placing children on sex offender registries
- Gainesville Daily Register: What to really be afraid of this Halloween
- Reason.com: Three ways parents are ruining Halloween
- Washington Post: John Grisham says sentencing for child porn offenders is too harsh.
- TIME Op Ed: We need to make it easier for pedophiles to seek help
- The Daily Dot: It's time to reconsider how we treat pedophiles
- ABC News: States fighting sex trafficking with decriminalization of prostitution for minors
- Matter Magazine: You’re 16. You’re a pedophile. You don’t want to hurt anyone. What do you do now?
- Child Sex Trafficking in the United States: Identifying Gaps and Research Priorities from a Public Health Perspective
- Jezebel: How do doctors help a self-identified pedophile?
- Politico panel on domestic sex trafficking with Dr. Elizabeth Letourneau, Cindy McCain and Malika Saada Saar
- Slate: XX Factor, Jennifer Bleyer: Why aren't we doing more to stop child pornography before it starts?
- All Sides with Ann Fisher: Discussion of sexual violence in our culture
- Slate, Jennifer Bleyer: How can we stop pedophiles? Stop treating them like monsters
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health establishes center to prevent child sexual abuse