Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing Program
This program, funded by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) within the Johns Hopkins University Education and Research Center (ERC), educates nurses in the field of occupational and environmental health. Masters graduates hold upper-level positions in government agencies, military services, the private sector, and industry and labor organizations. Prospective master’s students may apply to the full-time MPH program, the part-time/internet-based MPH program or the joint MSN/MPH Public Health Nursing Program.
The Master of Public Health (MPH): In addition to the MPH curriculum, the core requirements of this program address the relationship between environmental conditions and the health of workers and other vulnerable community members. Courses and activities focus on interdisciplinary practices that protect the health of these populations, including detection and mitigation of adverse health effects, exposure assessment and control, policy-making, and improving the resilience of those faced with environmental threats.
This program is available to nurses pursuing an MPH degree in the full-time (11 month) or part-time (up to 3 years) options. It is also available to students in the School of Public Health and School of Nursing joint MSN/MPH program (18 months full-time or three years part-time). The MSN/MPH program is designed for nurses seeking to integrate advanced nursing practice with population-based public health perspectives. A large number of School of Public Health courses are available online. These may be taken by students in any degree program, but at least 16 credits must be taken on-site in the face-to-face format.
The OEHN program is funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health which makes it possible to support qualified students. Contact the OEHN Director for more information.
The part-time/internet-based MPH option allows students to complete the MPH degree within three years of matriculation. Students can earn up to 80% of their academic credits online, with the remaining 20% being earned in a face-to-face format. The combined Master of Public Health/Master of Science in Nursing (MSN/MPH) program is offered jointly by the School of Public Health and the School of Nursing. The 18-month program of full-time study is designed specifically for nurses seeking to link their clinical expertise and interests with population health in various local and global environments. The program combines the one-year Master of Science in Nursing with a focus in Public Health Nursing and the eleven-month Master of Public Health offered by the respective schools in eighteen-months of full-time study designed for nurses seeking to integrate advanced nursing practice with population-based public health perspectives. Graduates are prepared for a variety of positions that uniquely combine knowledge in occupational health and nursing.
The doctoral program, the first in the world to offer nurses doctoral preparation in occupational and environmental health, addresses the need for nurses who are prepared to conduct research and design appropriate interventions for health problems related to workplace and environmental exposure. Doctoral graduates conduct research, teach in schools of public health and schools of nursing and manage occupational and environmental health programs in government agencies and the private sector. Prospective doctoral students apply to either the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) degree. For more information on the PhD and DrPH programs, please refer to the school's Student Handbook. In addition to core requirements for the degree programs, students may select electives in such areas as health policy, management, behavioral sciences, health education, international health and epidemiology.
Departmental Required Courses for the OEHN Program:
188.680 Fundamentals of Occupational Health – 3 credits
182.625 Principles of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene – 4 credits
187.610 Public Health Toxicology – 4 credits
188.686 Clinical Environmental and Occupational Toxicology – 3 credits
188.694 Occupational Health of Vulnerable Populations – 3 credits
188.681 Onsite Evaluation of Workplace and Occupational Health Programs – 5 credits
182.623 Occupational Safety and Health Management – 3 credits
185.801 Exposure Sciences and Environmental Epidemiology Journal Club (all terms on-site) – 1 credit
Maureen Cadorette, PhD, MPH, COHN-S
ERC Director Emeritus
Jacqueline Agnew, PhD, RN
Sheila Fitzgerald, PHD
Return to the ERC Homepage.