* Due to low enrollment this class has been cancelled. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Orientation to Sustainable Environmental Assessment Course
November 13 - 17, 2017
Johns Hopkins University
Montgomery County Campus
9605 Medical Center Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
Class size is limited!
- Group Rates & Need Based Scholarships Available
- Early bird rate, register by October 20, 2017: $765.00
- Course fee after October 20, 2017: $850.00
Environmental review allows local government, federal funding agencies and other stakeholders to identify and evaluate alternative sites and designs that can mitigate adverse impacts and/or lower long-term maintenance costs. All federal projects come with environmental assessment responsibilities under NEPA, and many local governments either have to meet the NEPA requirement because of the federal portion of funding and/or see the value of routinely including environmental considerations in their local decision making process.
This course uses the environmental process as a framework for providing insights into issue identification and analysis pointed to consideration of alternatives. There are many expert guest speakers and a wealth of material including a textbook and companion DVD. Each instruction module uses interactive exercises to facilitate peer-to-peer education, and an actual case study provides a simulated hands-on experience.
- NEPA Overview
- Explosive & Flammable Hazards
- Procedural Mechanics
- Contaminated Sites
- Request for Release of Funds
- First Steps on EA Preparation
- Brownfield Redevelopment
- Floodplain & Wetlands
- Sustainable Development
- Bio-diversity/Endangered Species
- Environmental Software
- Environmental Justice
- FEMA Flood Insurance Program
- Web Resources
- Historic Preservation
- Clear Zones
- State Mini-NEPA (CEQA)
- Healthy Homes
Please download a draft of the agenda from the last class here. This class will be similar. The updated agenda will be posted soon.
Need based scholarships are available. Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Please click here to register and pay online.
- Or click here to download a registration form (pdf file, will open in a new window) and email, fax, or mail it to us:
Secure Fax: (410) 614-4986
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
615 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
Hilton Garden Inn
14975 Shady Grove Road, Rockville, Maryland, 20850
- They offer a free shuttle to and from the Rockville campus. You must schedule this shuttle ahead of time - please call them to book.
- Rates are $200 - $250 for the week (as of June 22, 2017)
Courtyard Marriott Rockville
2500 Research Boulevard Rockville Maryland, 20850
- Rates are $150 - $200 for the week (as of June 22, 2017)
Eugene Goldfarb, MUP, JD
Adjunct Asst Professor
Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences School of Public Health University of Illinois at Chicago
Please contact Keith Choi, Johns Hopkins University, at email@example.com or (410) 955-4088.