MBBS, Guys Medical School, University of London, 1979
MPH, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1988
Professor of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Vice Chairman of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Director, The Johns Hopkins Neurology Residency Training Program, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
Active Staff, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Department of Neurology
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
Dr. McArthur's research interests include the neurological manifestations of HIV infection, novel therapeutic approaches for sensory neuropathies, the study of cutaneous innervation in human neuropathic disorders, and Multiple Sclerosis and its treatment.
1977 Certificate, Golding-Bird Obstetrics and Gynecology
1978 Spastics Society Prize for Pediatrics
1978 Guys Hospital Annual Dermatology Prize
1979 Honors in Medicine, University of London, London, UK
1991 Elected American Neurological Association
1993 Frank Ford Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University Department of Neurology Annual Teaching Award
1994 Elected Alpha Omega Alpha
1994 Osler Housestaff Award, Johns Hopkins University Department of Medicine Teaching Award
1996 Osler Housestaff Award, Johns Hopkins University Department of Medicine Teaching Award
1998 Osler Housestaff Award, Johns Hopkins University Department of Medicine Teaching Award
1999 Osler Housestaff Award, Johns Hopkins University Department of Medicine Teaching Award
2001 Professor's Award for Distinction in Teaching in the Clinical Sciences
- McArthur JC, McClernon DR, Cronin MF, Nance-Sproson TE, Saah A, St. Clair M, Lanier ER. Relationship between HIV-associated dementia and CSF viral load. Ann Neurol 42:689-698, 1997.
- McArthur JC, Stocks A, Hauer P, Cornblath DR, Griffin JW. Epidermal nerve fiber density: normative reference range and diagnostic efficiency. Arch Neurol 55:1513-1520, 1998.
- McArthur JC, Sacktor N, Selnes OA. Human immunodeficiency virus-associated dementia. Seminars in Neurology 19:129-150, 1999.
- McArthur JC, Yiannoutsos C, Simpson DM, Adornato BT, Singer EJ, Hollander H, Marra C, Rubin M, Cohen BA, Tucker T, Navia BA, Schifitto G, Katzenstein D, Rask C, Zaborski L, Smith ME, Shriver S, Millar L, Clifford DB, and the AIDS Clinical Trials Group Team 291. A phase II trial of nerve growth factor for sensory neuropathy associated with HIV infection. Neurology 54:1080-1088, 2000
- Sacktor N, Lyles RH, Skolasky R, Kleeberger C, Selnes OA, Miller EN, Becker JT, Cohen B, McArthur JC, and the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. HIV-associated neurologic disease Incidence changes: Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study, 1990-1998. Neurology 56:257-260, 2001.
- Thompson KA, McArthur JC, Wesselingh SL. Correlation between neurological progression and astrocyte apoptosis in HIV-associated dementia. Annals of Neurology 49:745-752, 2001.
- Polydefkis M, Yiannoutsos CT, Cohen BA, Hollander H, Schifitto G, Clifford DM, Katzenstein D, Shriver S, Hauer P, Brown A, Haidich AB, Moo L, McArthur JC. Reduced intraepidermal nerve fiber density in HIV-associated sensory neuropathy. Neurology 58:115-119, 2002.
- Cherry CL, Gahan ME, McArthur JC, Lewin SR, Hoy JF, Wesselingh SL. Exposure to dideoxynucleosides is reflected in lowered mitochondrial DNA in subcutaneous fat. J AIDS 30:271-277, 2002.
- Keswani SC, Pardo CA, Cherry CL, Hoke A, McArthur JC. HIV-associated sensory neuropathies. AIDS 16:2105-2117, 2002.
- Clifford DB, McArthur JC, Schifitto G, Kieburtz K, McDermott MP, Letendre S, Cohen BA, Marder K, Ellis RJ, Marra CM, and the Neurologic AIDS Research Consortium. A randomized clinical trial of CPI-1189 for HIV-associated cognitive-motor impairment. Neurology 59:1568-1573, 2002.
- Rajan B, Polydefkis M, Hauer P, Griffin JW, McArthur JC. Epidermal innervation after intracutaneous axotomy in man. J Comp Neurol 457:24-36, 2003.
- Keswani SC, Chander B, Hasan C, Griffin JW, McArthur JC, Hoke A. FK506 is neuroprotective in a model of antiretroviral toxic neuropathy. Ann Neurol 53:57-64, 2003.
- Cherry CL, McArthur JC, Hoy JF, Wesselingh SL. Nucleoside analogues and neuropathy in the era of HAART. (Invited review) Journal of Clinical Virology 26:195-207, 2003
- Harrison MJG and McArthur JC. AIDS and Neurology. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1995.
- Johnson RT, Griffin JW, McArthur JC (eds). Current Therapy in Neurologic Disease, Sixth Edition, Mosby, St. Louis, 2002.
- Asbury AK, McKhann G, McDonald WI, Goadsby PJ, McArthur JC (eds). Diseases of the Nervous system: Clinical Neuroscience and Therapeutic Principles, 3rd edition, Cambridge University, Press, Cambridge, UK, 2002.