In the Media
Journalists rely upon the research and expertise of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research for their reporting on gun violence and gun violence prevention policies. Our research generates stories in local, national, and international media and our faculty members are frequently quoted in top-tier national and international news outlets.
This page provides examples of how our research generates news, in addition to articles in which our faculty and staff are quoted. Links to our news release and media statements are also below.
For press inquiries, please contact the Center's Director of Communications, Caitlin Hoffman: firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 955-7624.
- Medium: The Staggering Error at the Heart of Pro-Gun Policy
- The Baltimore Sun: They Grew Up Practicing Lockdown Drills. Now, They're at Hopkins to Steer the Conversation on Gun Violence
- KUNC: How the Democrats' Gun Plans Sound to Experts
- NJTV News: Murphy Signs 'Smart Gun' Bill, Calls for More Gun Control
- Newsweek: Walmart Shuts Down All Gun Sales in New Mexico After State Expands Background Check Requirements
- Vox: Democrats Have Been Discussing the Same Ideas on Guns for 25 Years. It's Time to Change That
- WMAR Baltimore: Annapolis Mayor Leads Gun Violence Summit in Honor of Capitol Gazette Shooting
- The Trace: Gun Owners Support Smart Guns, But Few Want to Buy Them
- Guns & America: Very Few Gun Owners Want To Buy A Smart Gun
- Oregon NPR: Smart Guns Aren't Selling. Why? Few Gun Owners Want To Buy Them.
- The Science Blog: Most Gun Owners Support The Sale Of Personalized, ‘Smart’ Guns
- The Trace: Democrats’ Bill Would Nudge States to Require Permits for Handgun Purchases
- UPI: Study: Gun licensing reduces shooting deaths more than background checks
- Newsweek: Gun Licensing Only Effective Way of Screening to Reduce Gun Homicides and Suicides: New Study
- Guns and America (NPR): Researchers Say Permit-To-Purchase Laws, Not Background Checks, More Effective In Decreasing Gun Violence
- Newsweek: Two Major Gun Control Bills Unveiled by Congressional Democrats
- WAMU: Handgun Licensing More Effective At Reducing Gun Deaths Than Background Checks Alone
- The Trace: Bill to Revamp Illinois’s Gun Licensing System Advances Despite Pushback
- Chicago Tribune: More than 34,000 Illinoisans have lost their right to own a gun. Nearly 80% may still be armed.
- Politifact: Cory Booker points to Connecticut, where he says a tough gun law led to fewer deaths
- WAMU: Tuition-Free Online Course To Share Gun Violence Prevention Strategies
- NPR: Free Gun Violence Prevention Course Launches To Educate Young Activists
- USA Today: Cory Booker wants to start national gun licensing program, limit firearms purchases
- New York Times: Cory Booker’s Gun Control Plan Calls for National Licensing Program
- Vox: Cory Booker now has the most ambitious gun control proposal of any 2020 candidate
- Salon: Treating gun violence as an "epidemic": Cory Booker unveils ambitious gun control plan
- Associated Press: No arrests day after chaotic shooting attack in Baltimore
- Vox: 20 years after Columbine, the guns are still the problem
- Delaware online: Will gun control proposals reduce gun violence in Delaware?
- New York Times: Gun Research Is Suddenly Hot
- WTVO: Illinois legislation would require fingerprints from gun buyers
- The Trace: Illinois Lawmakers Want to Fingerprint Gun Buyers
- Chicago Tribune: State lawmakers propose fingerprinting, more background checks on gun purchases after Aurora warehouse shooting
- Vox: Pittsburgh passes stricter gun laws — after state and federal governments wouldn’t
- IdeaStream : Multiple States Miss Reporting Deadline For Improving FBI Background Checks
- PBS Newshour: Why the U.S. and New Zealand’s responses to mass shootings are so different
- Washington Post: New Zealand just banned military-style firearms. Here’s why the U.S. can’t.
- Newsweek: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Has A Four-Point Plan To Solve America's Gun Issues
- New York Times: With Bump Stocks Now Banned, Can Buybacks Get Rid of Them?
- St. Louis American: Background checks curb the illegal gun market
- WYPR: Gun Violence as a Public Health Crisis
- Bloomberg: Skeptic’s Guide to Gun Violence Research
- ThinkProgress: Hickenlooper puts gun control at the center of his White House bid
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph: Right to protest: Students from across state plan march against Campus Carry bill
- The Post-Star: Column: Let's be thoughtful when it comes to guns
- CNN: A lawmaker learned of an active shooter in her state during a hearing about gun violence prevention
- Mother Jones: A Year After Parkland, Republicans Still Don’t Want to Fund Gun Violence Research
- Vox: Study: where gun laws are weaker, there are more mass shootings
- MedPage Today: House Panel Debates Gun Violence Research Funding
- ABC News: Parkland survivors, victims’ parents reflect on year of progress since massacre [Video]
- Vox: The House just passed what could be the biggest change to federal gun laws in decades
- Chicago Tribune: Illinois rescinded 10,000 gun licenses last year. More than 75 percent of holders ignored the notice.
- See also: Herald Review: Illinois rescinded 10,000 gun licenses last year. More than 75 percent of holders ignored the notice.
- Chicago Tribune: New study identifies 'gaps' in state gun law that allowed Aurora shooter to illegally keep his weapon
- See also: The Pantagraph: Aurora mass shooting points to gaps in Illinois gun laws, say authors of study prompted by Mercy Hospital rampage
- The Crime Report: Gaps in Illinois Gun Laws Blamed for Aurora Shooting
- Juvenile Justice Exchange: Gun Laws Recommended for Illinois Could Have Impacted Shooting, Johns Hopkins Says
- See also: Youth Today: Recommended Gun Laws for Illinois Could Have Prevented Shooting: Center
- Chicago Tribune: Aurora mass shooter lost his gun license but kept his gun — as have thousands of other Illinoisans. Here's a look at what went wrong.
- The Crime Report: Background Checks Alone Won’t Stop Gun Violence: Experts
- NBC News: School Shooting Tracker: Counting school shootings since 2013
- The Trace: Saving Kids from Guns: The Most Promising Strategies, According to Experts
- The Trace: After Trace/BuzzFeed News Investigation, Baltimore Officials Tell Police to Turn Up the Heat on Shooters
- The Trace: More States Should Raise the Age to Buy Firearms
- Newsweek: House Democrat Lucy McBath, a Mother of the Gun Control Movement, Says 'Time Is Now on Our Side'
- WAMU: What We Know About Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law
- Vox: We don’t know the motive for the Las Vegas shooting. But we do know why it happened.
- The Trace: 5 Things to Know About Cities’ Failure to Arrest Shooters
- New Orleans Advocate: Costly gun buyback event draws critics who say it was poorly organized, waste of money
- Vox: Democrats need to think way bigger on guns
- Idaho State Journal: Suicides down 29 percent worldwide, up 30 percent in the US — Here’s why