Lectures and Events
Innovations in Tobacco Control Lecture Series
The institute hosts a lecture series highlighting experts in the field of tobacco control. Speakers have included Robert Proctor, expert witness against the tobacco industry and professor of history of science at Stanford University, Ruth Malone, Editor-in-Chief of Tobacco Control and Professor and Chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the UCSF School of Nursing, and Cathy Backinger, Deputy Director for Research at the FDA Center for Tobacco Products.
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Noon to 1:00pm
Feinstone Hall (E2030)
Topic to be announced at a later date.
Oladimeji Oladepo, PhD
Professor of Public Health, Department of Health Promotion and Education
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
All of our lectures are available a short time after the event on our YouTube channel.
Upcoming 2017 lectures (topics will be announced prior to events)
- Tuesday, February 6 - Dr. Oladimeji Oladepo (Feinstone E2030)
- Wednesday, March 28 - Dr. Vandana Shah (Anna Baetjer W1030)
- Wednesday, May 9 - Dr. Lisa Lagasse (Anna Baetjer W1030)
Past 2017 lectures
- Meghan Brigid Moran, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Pop culture matters: How understanding media, advertising, and the social worlds of adolescents can help tobacco control efforts
- Michael Chaiton, Ph.D., Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Banning menthol from tobacco: How is it working in Ontario, Canada so far, and the tobacco industry response
- Timothy Dewhirst, Ph.D., University of Gelph, Principles of tobacco branding
- Richard Edwards, University of Otago, Smokefree 2025 and ASPIRE 2025: Research to achieve the endgame for tobacco smoking
- Thomas Eissenberg, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University, Waterpipe (hookah) tobacco smoking: What is the evidence that it supports nicotine/tobacco dependence, and why should you care? (video coming soon)
- Luz Myriam Reynales Shigematsu, MD, MSc, PhD, Director of Tobacco Research, National Institute of Public Health in Mexico (INSP), Tobacco Control in Mexico: 12 Years of Success and Challenges (video coming soon)
- Xisca Sureda, Ph.D., Alcalá University, Second-hand smoke exposure outdoors: New challenges for tobacco control
Join our mailing list to receive emails about lectures and alerts when new videos have been posted.