Lectures and Events
Innovations in Tobacco Control Lecture Series
The Institute hosts a lecture series highlighting experts in the field of tobacco control. Speakers have included Robert Proctor, expert witness against the tobacco industry and professor of history of science at Stanford University, Ruth Malone, Editor-in-Chief of Tobacco Control and Professor and Chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the UCSF School of Nursing, and Cathy Backinger, Deputy Director for Research at the FDA Center for Tobacco Products.
Our Innovations in Tobacco Control lecture series resumes digitally on Wednesday, September 9 at noon (EDT) with "A Whirlwind Tour Through the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)" by Former Head of the Convention Secretariat WHO FCTC Vera da Costa e Silva, PhD, MD, MBA. The meeting will be broadcast on Zoom. All of our lectures are available a short time after the event on our YouTube channel.
Popup Symposium Focuses on Flavors
As a response to increased attention on the topic of flavored e-cigarettes, IGTC convened a popup practice symposium "Flavored E-Cigarettes: What the FDA, States and Cities are Doing and Why" featuring experts from across the country.
Past lectures and events
Dr. Jeffrey Drope, Scientific Vice President for Economic and Health Policy Research with the American Cancer Society.
Dr. Joaquin Barnoya, Research Director at Unidad de Cirugía Cardiovascular de Guatemala.
Patricio Marquez, former lead public health specialist at the World Bank Group (WBG).
M. Justin Byron, PhD, Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, School of Medicine; Adjunct Assistant Professor, Health Behavior, Gillings School of Global Public Health; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Marissa Reitsma, Research Scientist, Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation; PhD student in Health Policy, Stanford University.
Kevin Welding, PhD. Institute for Global Tobacco Control, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Julia Chen-Sankey, PhD. Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- February 20-23, 2019: Various presentations at the Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
- Douglas Bettcher, PhD. World Health Organization (retired). The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in global health development: Public health history in the making
- Katherine Clegg Smith, PhD and Caitlin Weiger. Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Be careful where you click. How terms of service restrict research on product websites.
- Jennifer Fang. MPH. Global Tobacco Control Project Faculty of Health and Sciences, Simon Fraser University. China National Tobacco: An emerging dragon?
- April Roeseler, MSPH. California Tobacco Control Program, Department of Public Health. Ending the tobacco epidemic in California.
- David L. Ashley, PhD. US Public Health Service (retired), Georgia State University. How scientific research informs tobacco regulatory science.
- Vanessa Garcia-Larsen, MSc, PhD, MEd. The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The relationship of diet, lung function, and chronic airways diseases: An epidemiological perspective.
- Benn McGrady, PhD. Legal Technical Officer, Prevention of NCDs, World Health Organization. Implications of the WTO Panel Report in Australia.
- Tesfa Alexander, PhD, Batelle Memorial Institute. Tobacco public education campaigns then and now: Taking a science-based and practical approach
- Lisa Lagasse, PhD, Johns Hopkins University Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Institute for Global Tobacco Control. Smooth, timeless, evolving: Marlboro's new global image
- Oladimeji Oladepo, Ph.D., University of Ibadan, Tobacco control legislation in Nigeria: Chronicles of a decade of intrigues and victories
- Vandana Shah, LLM, Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, Tobacco control policy progress in Asia: Case study on India's graphic health warnings policy
Spring and Fall 2017
- Michael Chaiton, Ph.D., Dalla Lana School of Public Health. Banning menthol from tobacco: How is it working in Ontario, Canada so far, and the tobacco industry response
- Timothy Dewhirst, Ph.D., University of Gelph. Principles of tobacco branding
- Richard Edwards, University of Otago. Smokefree 2025 and ASPIRE 2025: Research to achieve the endgame for tobacco smoking
- Thomas Eissenberg, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University. Waterpipe (hookah) tobacco smoking: What is the evidence that it supports nicotine/tobacco dependence, and why should you care?
- Meghan Brigid Moran, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. Pop culture matters: How understanding media, advertising, and the social worlds of adolescents can help tobacco control efforts
- Luz Myriam Reynales Shigematsu, MD, MSc, PhD, Director of Tobacco Research, National Institute of Public Health in Mexico (INSP). Tobacco control in Mexico: 12 years of success and challenges
- Xisca Sureda, Ph.D., Alcalá University. Second-hand smoke exposure outdoors: New challenges for tobacco control
Join our mailing list to receive emails about lectures and alerts when new videos have been posted.