Lectures and Events
Innovations in Tobacco Control Lecture Series
The Institute hosts a lecture series highlighting experts in the field of tobacco control. Speakers have included Robert Proctor, expert witness against the tobacco industry and professor of history of science at Stanford University, Ruth Malone, Editor-in-Chief of Tobacco Control and Professor and Chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the UCSF School of Nursing, and Cathy Backinger, Deputy Director for Research at the FDA Center for Tobacco Products.
Fall 2022 Schedule
The lectures will take place on Zoom. Pre-registration is required. Click the links to register. For more information, contact us at email@example.com.
November 7, Noon EST: Armando Peruga, The Evolution of Tobacco Control
December 1, Noon EST: Les Hagen, Global Tobacco Control Progress Hub (link available soon)
September 13, Noon EDT: Fernanda Alonso, Policies Related to Health Warning Label Rotation in the PAHO region
October 6, Noon EDT: Kamran Siddiqi, Policies Related to Smokeless Tobacco
Dr. Connie Hoe, research group lead and Humboldt Fellow at Heidelberg Institute of Global Health, Heidelberg University, in Germany
Xiaozhao Yousef Yang, Associate Professor at the School of Sociology and Anthropology at Sun Yat-sen University, and Yang Tingzhong, Professor at the Center for Tobacco Control Research at Zhejiang University School of Medicine in China
Joseph G. L. Lee, an Associate Professor at East Carolina University
Yvette Van Der Eijk, an Assistant Professor at the National University of Singapore
Rijo M. John, an Economist and Public Health Policy Analyst, based in Kerala, India
Lauren Czaplicki, Assistant Scientist in the Department of Health, Behavior and Society at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Jennifer Brown, Assistant Scientist in the Department of Health, Behavior & Society in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Xi Yin, Regional Advisor in the Western Pacific Regional Office of the World Health Organization
Tim Dewhirst, Professor, Senior Research Fellow in Marketing and Public Policy, Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics, University of Guelph (Canada)
Rebekah Rodericks, Junior Specialist, Office of Public Health Studies, University of Hawai'i at Manoa; and Katherine Peck, Research Impact Specialist, Population Council
Pranay Lal, Senior Technical Advisor, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (India)
James Pankow, Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Portland State University
Praveen Sinha, National Professional Officer with the World Health Organization in India
Ben Hawkins, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Vera da Costa e Silva, Senior Public Health Consultant, Former Head of the Convention Secretariat, WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
Popup Symposium Focuses on Flavors
As a response to increased attention on the topic of flavored e-cigarettes, IGTC convened a popup practice symposium "Flavored E-Cigarettes: What the FDA, States and Cities are Doing and Why" featuring experts from across the country.
Past lectures and events
Dr. Jeffrey Drope, Scientific Vice President for Economic and Health Policy Research with the American Cancer Society.
Dr. Joaquin Barnoya, Research Director at Unidad de Cirugía Cardiovascular de Guatemala.
Patricio Marquez, former lead public health specialist at the World Bank Group (WBG).
- M. Justin Byron, PhD, Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, School of Medicine; Adjunct Assistant Professor, Health Behavior, Gillings School of Global Public Health; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Do High E-cigarette Taxes Drive Vapers to Cigarettes?
- Marissa Reitsma, Research Scientist, Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation; PhD student in Health Policy, Stanford University. Quantifying the Global Health Impacts of Smoking
- Kevin Welding, PhD. Institute for Global Tobacco Control, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Market for Tobacco Products in India: Evidence from Semi-Urban and Rural Towns in Five States
- Julia Chen-Sankey, PhD. Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), National Institutes of Health (NIH). Flavored E-cigarettes in the U.S. and Other Countries
- February 20-23, 2019: Various presentations at the Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
- Douglas Bettcher, PhD. World Health Organization (retired). The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in global health development: Public health history in the making
- Katherine Clegg Smith, PhD and Caitlin Weiger. Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Be careful where you click. How terms of service restrict research on product websites.
- Jennifer Fang. MPH. Global Tobacco Control Project Faculty of Health and Sciences, Simon Fraser University. China National Tobacco: An emerging dragon?
- April Roeseler, MSPH. California Tobacco Control Program, Department of Public Health. Ending the tobacco epidemic in California.
- David L. Ashley, PhD. US Public Health Service (retired), Georgia State University. How scientific research informs tobacco regulatory science.
- Vanessa Garcia-Larsen, MSc, PhD, MEd. The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The relationship of diet, lung function, and chronic airways diseases: An epidemiological perspective.
- Benn McGrady, PhD. Legal Technical Officer, Prevention of NCDs, World Health Organization. Implications of the WTO Panel Report in Australia.
- Tesfa Alexander, PhD, Batelle Memorial Institute. Tobacco public education campaigns then and now: Taking a science-based and practical approach
- Lisa Lagasse, PhD, Johns Hopkins University Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Institute for Global Tobacco Control. Smooth, timeless, evolving: Marlboro's new global image
- Oladimeji Oladepo, Ph.D., University of Ibadan, Tobacco control legislation in Nigeria: Chronicles of a decade of intrigues and victories
- Vandana Shah, LLM, Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, Tobacco control policy progress in Asia: Case study on India's graphic health warnings policy
Spring and Fall 2017
- Michael Chaiton, Ph.D., Dalla Lana School of Public Health. Banning menthol from tobacco: How is it working in Ontario, Canada so far, and the tobacco industry response
- Timothy Dewhirst, Ph.D., University of Gelph. Principles of tobacco branding
- Richard Edwards, University of Otago. Smokefree 2025 and ASPIRE 2025: Research to achieve the endgame for tobacco smoking
- Thomas Eissenberg, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University. Waterpipe (hookah) tobacco smoking: What is the evidence that it supports nicotine/tobacco dependence, and why should you care?
- Meghan Brigid Moran, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. Pop culture matters: How understanding media, advertising, and the social worlds of adolescents can help tobacco control efforts
- Luz Myriam Reynales Shigematsu, MD, MSc, PhD, Director of Tobacco Research, National Institute of Public Health in Mexico (INSP). Tobacco control in Mexico: 12 years of success and challenges
- Xisca Sureda, Ph.D., Alcalá University. Second-hand smoke exposure outdoors: New challenges for tobacco control
Join our mailing list to receive emails about lectures and alerts when new videos have been posted.