Student Group Event Funding
The Student Assembly Finance and Appropriations committee, under the leadership of the Student Assembly Treasurer, handles the finances for the Student Assembly and approves funding for student group events.
Student groups may apply for administrative funds and funding for specific events within our School (please see attachments listed here):
Budget Application (when requesting funds from Student Assembly for your events)
Budget Action Form (BAF - for reimbursements, invoice payment and internal services requests, etc.)
JHU ALUMNI OFFICE STUDENT GRANT FUNDING OPPORTUNITY
The Alumni Association’s Student Grant Program provides funding opportunities for student groups and programs that enhance student experiences during their time at Johns Hopkins. The grant program aims to enhance student life and foster positive relationships between the university and the local community by encouraging students to create volunteer community service projects or to design ventures within existing organizations.
What You Need to Know about Funding Your Student Group Event
- Only recognized student groups in good standing may apply for or spend Student Assembly event funds. To be in good standing, officer Treasurers and Presidents must check email, respond to the Assembly VP for Student Groups and the Treasurer promptly, and follow funding guidelines.
- Funds are only available for events that are open to and primarily for all Bloomberg School students.
- Start early if you plan to apply for funds for your event. If you are within three weeks of your event, you're probably too late to start the process.
- Once granted funds, make sure to submit all forms and paperwork promptly. Failure to do so could reduce the amount of funds you are able to receive in the future (have at least one person keeping track of and double checking all of your paperwork).
- Make sure at all times that you never spend more than you have in your account or more than you were approved for through Assembly funding. If you overspend, your group will lose funding in the future and could even have its official status revoked.
- To efficiently review your funding applications and get you funded, the Assembly uses a line-item approach to funding. This means you will have to submit an itemized budget ($xx.xx for food, $xx.xx for decorations, etc). Keeping your line item requests under the Student Assembly guidelines will increase your likelihood of getting funding.
- The Student Assembly will never grant funds for an event that has already occurred. Do not spend money you don't have and then expect reimbursement from Student Assembly funds. You will be stuck with the bill.
- The deadline for budget applications is the first of the month by 11:59 PM
- If ever in doubt about anything, read the bylaws. If you still can't find the answer, then ask the VP Student Groups or the Treasurer.