English for Academic Purposes
The Bloomberg School of Public Health offers extradepartmental assistance that focuses on academic written communication in writing American English.
This is not a traditional English As A Second Language course and its primary focus is academic writing. Please note that during the 2018-2019 academic year, this class is offered twice—in the fall and in the spring.
You may choose to register in either fall or spring. However, in the fall, you must register for both 1st and 2nd terms as the class meets from September to December; in the spring, register in both 3rd and 4th terms as classes meet from January to May.
A grade of Pass/Fail is given at end of the 2nd term for the fall course and 4th term for the spring course. There will be a total of four class meetings. In addition, individual conferences will be offered. You must attend three of the four class meetings. Two or more absences will result in a fail grade for the class.
Dates & Times
Four Friday Classes: 9/13, 10/11, 11/1, 11/15
Friday Times - 3:30 - 6:00PM
Room: E2133 Wolfe Street Bldg.
Individual conferences--Friday: 9/27, 10/25, 12/13
- Class Syllabus (subject to change)
- Enrollment maximum per class: 15 students
- The class is offered free of charge only to enrolled degree-seeking students in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Instructor: Hong-Smith, Vicki (0 units)
- Consent of Student Affairs is required; for consent, contact Steve Bazzetta at email@example.com
- Before requesting consent, please take this self-assessment tool to gauge whether this course will meet your academic needs: EAP Tool
- This course is mainly for students whose first language is not American English and/or whose higher education experience in U.S. institutions is limited.
- The course includes basic formats and expectations, cultural and linguistic sensitivity, correct source usage to avoid plagiarism, documentation styles and application, global and local writing issues, common grammar issues and other relevant issues in academic communication in English.