Skip Navigation

Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Home

 Travel Abroad Notice

As a graduate student at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, you may have an opportunity to supplement your education or conduct research in another country. These opportunities often enrich the academic curriculum, contribute to dissertation research, and allow you to apply the knowledge you obtain in the classroom to the world’s communities. While the School encourages participation in these kinds of experiences, international tensions can be high. Therefore, students should seek information on conditions abroad before traveling.

Any plans for international travel should be carefully considered. Before undertaking any travel, please consult the Department of State Website at . Information on US embassies, travel advisories, and the availability of transportation should the situation in a country deteriorate may be found on this site.

If you are traveling to a less developed part of the world, you should be certain to contact your health care provider or the Johns Hopkins International Travel clinic to learn about recommended immunizations and other matters to guard your health. Located on the East Baltimore campus, you can reach the International Travel Clinic by telephone at 410-955-8931. Further information about recommended immunizations and prophylaxis is available at the CDC Website,

International students must contact the Office of International Services (OIS) well in advance of any travel to avoid compliance issues with their visa status. OIS may be contacted at 410-955-3371, or at

Students who travel must complete a Graduate Student Study Release and must leave contact information with their departmental office or student coordinator. Copies of the Graduate Student Study Release form may be obtained from your departmental student coordinator or Student Affairs in suite E1002 of the Wolfe Street Building.

The Global Field Experience Fund supports hands-on public health research and practice related travel costs.  All full-time students in good standing are eligible to apply. Details and application available at  

April 9, 2004