Skip Navigation

Student Accounts & Business Services

IRS Form 1098T Tuition Statement Frequently Asked Questions

The IRS Form 1098‐T is an informational return that JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health is required to issue for the purpose of determining a student’s eligibility for an education credit or tuition and fees deduction. Refer to IRS publication 970 and Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center for further information regarding the 1098‐T, or consult your tax advisor.

JHU School of Public Health or the JHU Tax Office cannot answer tax questions or advise you concerning tax related issues.

1. Who is required to be issued an IRS Form 1098T?

JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health must file a 1098‐T form for each enrolled student for whom a reportable transaction was made during the calendar year January 1 to December 31. A reportable transaction is defined as payment for qualified tuition and related expenses required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution and any scholarships or grants administered and processed for payment of the student’s cost of attendance.

2. Who is NOT required to be issued the IRS Form 1098T?

3. Does JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health report my payments?

JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health reports qualified payments received in Box 1 of the 1098‐T form. The University reports payment amounts for qualified tuition and related expenses during the calendar year January 1st through December 31st. To get a summary of your charges and payments by term, you can view and print your account activity in Please look closely at the dates of activity.

4. How does a student receive IRS Form 1098T from JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health?

5. I have a general question about my 1098T form. Who can I call for help?

6. Former Students

Students no longer attending the university who require a copy of their 1098T form will need to send a signed written request for information and a copy of a government issued picture ID to

7.  I attended Winter Intersession/Term 3 so why did I not get a 1098-T form this year?

If you attended in the Winter Intersession/Term 3 last year, you will need to refer to your account when determining your tax credit.  Students are billed for the above terms as early as October in the preceding year.  Depending on the date of enrollment, the charges and/or payments may have been incurred in the previous year.