Skip Navigation

Student Accounts & Business Services


What is a Special Student Limited?

At the Bloomberg School, a Special Student Limited is a type of non-degree seeking student interested in registering for courses for academic credit.

The Bloomberg School provides students with the flexibility to take up to 16 units of credit (including non-institute coursework) as a Special Student Limited. Instructor consent is required for regular 8-week term courses, but is not required for institute courses.

How do I apply as a non-degree seeking student or a Special Student Limited?

New and returning students who do not have a JHED-ID must submit a new application. Returning students who already have a JHED-ID can log in to the Bloomberg School’s SIS system directly. There is more information on the application process on the How to Apply page.

How do I enable my cookies?

From your browser toolbar, select the following: Tools, Internet Options, Privacy and Advanced. Then check the “Always allow session cookies” box. Click OK.

I’m a returning student and I forgot my JHED-ID username and password. What do I do?

If you are a returning student and you don’t remember your JHED-ID username or password, please click here.

Why do I have multiple records in SIS?

Students registering as a Special Student Limited may have two student instances which will result in multiple records in SIS. It’s important to select the appropriate record. To register as a Special Student Limited, the student record to select is labeled "Public Health/SS-LTD."

How do I pay my bill?

You will need your JHED-ID.  New and continuing Special Students Limited can make payments by going to the Billing menu within SIS. Online registration requests will be held in a pending status until tuition payment is made and the account reviewed. Questions regarding billing and payment should be directed to the Student Accounts Office.

I’m a School of Medicine postdoc. Can I take institute courses at the Bloomberg School?

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine postdoctoral students must enroll as Special Students Limited to take institute courses for academic credit. Vouchers for payment must be obtained at the School of Medicine Registrar’s Office. The School of Medicine will pay up to the non-credit rate for courses taken for academic credit. The remaining balance is the responsibility of the student.

What’s the difference between the summer institute and the summer term?

Summer Institute programs are offered from May through August by several academic departments within the Bloomberg School. Dates and times of the courses vary by department. For some institutes, no application requirements are needed, while other institutes require approval before enrollment is granted.

Our regular 8-week summer term is part of our five-term academic year. Each term is comprised of approximately 37 class days.

I want to register for two different summer institutes. Do I need to submit two separate applications?

It depends on the individual institutes' admission requirements. Acceptance is then determined by the institute after submission of the requirements.

What is the cost to audit a course?

The cost to audit a course is the same as registering for a letter grade or pass/fail, and the fee is based on the number of the course’s academic credits. A grade of “AU” is indicated on transcripts for audited courses. The course must be offered for audit, and instructor permission must be granted in order to audit the course.

Are all courses available for both academic credit and non-credit?

No. The academic department determines if courses are offered for non-credit and academic credit. Some courses are offered only for credit, and some are offered only for non-credit.

Can I apply for financial aid to pay for my summer institute courses?

Typically, financial aid is available only for students enrolled in a degree program. However, there may be some exceptions. Please contact our Financial Aid Office at 410-955-3004, or for further information.

Why do I need to re-apply if I registered for summer institute courses for academic credit prior to March 1, 2010?

In March 2010, we integrated a new student database with SIS – our current student system of record. Students who registered for academic credit courses prior to March 1, 2010, but not since, need to create a new student record which will enable them to log in to SIS where they can view bills, make payment, register for courses, etc.

I am a faculty member. Do I use my JHED-ID to log in to SIS or my SIS-ID?

Faculty and staff wishing to take summer institute courses still need to complete the online application. You will then use your JHED-ID and password to log into SIS.

How can I drop a course?

Once enrolled, new and continuing Special Students Limited can access their records via SIS.

Students wishing to drop an institute course may do so by selecting the “Registration - Add/Drop Classes” option from the Registration menu under their Public Health/SS-LTD student instance. Once the online deadline closes for an institute, add/drop requests must be submitted directly to the institute coordinator for approval.