Public Health Applications for Student Experience (PHASE)
PHASE is a non-paid, for-credit internship program.
PHASE is sponsored in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
PHASE offers opportunities for Bloomberg School public health graduate students to apply academic knowledge and theory in real-world professional practice settings. The primary goal of PHASE is to enrich Bloomberg School academic degree programs with hands-on public health practice experience.
Key Components of the PHASE Internship
- A public health practice experience involving average of 6-8 hours/week spent onsite at the hosting agency) over 3 academic terms.
- Attendance at the PHASE orientation lunch.
- Attendance at check-in meetings once a term with PHASE course faculty.
- Submission of PHASE Student Monthly Update Reports on the 15th of each month.
- An internship agreement form to be completed with the preceptor.
- A concept paper outlining goals and intent of project.
- A final paper highlighting the student's experience, results, and lessons learned.
- A 15-minute oral presentation of the student's experience at the mandatory final PHASE symposium at MDH. Symposium attendance includes course faculty, preceptors and other interested public health practitioners and academicians.
Important Assignments and Deadlines for 2020-2021
|Assignment||% of Grade|
|Internship Agreement Form||5%||Nov. 2020|
|Concept Paper||15%||Nov. 2020|
|Monthly Update Report||5%||15th of every month|
|PHASE Check-in Meetings||5%||Varies - see next table|
|Final Paper||25%||May 2021|
|Oral Presentation at PHASE Symposium||15%||May 2021|
|Student Evaluation of Program||5%||May 2021|
|Student Performance Evaluation (completed by preceptor/Course Faculty)||25%||May 2021|
|Orientation Lunch||Oct. 2020|
|Check-in Term 2||Dec. 2020|
|Check-in Term 3||Feb. 2021|
|Check-in Term 4||April 2021|
*Required to attend all meetings. Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
Review Frequently Asked Questions