Public Health Applications for Student Experience (PHASE)
PHASE is a non-paid, for-credit internship program.
PHASE is sponsored in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
PHASE offers opportunities for Bloomberg School public health graduate students to apply academic knowledge and theory in real-world professional practice settings. The primary goal of PHASE is to enrich Bloomberg School academic degree programs with hands-on public health practice experience.
Key Components of the PHASE Internship
- A public health practice experience involving average of 6-8 hours/week spent onsite at the hosting agency) over 3 academic terms.
- Attendance at the PHASE orientation lunch.
- Attendance at check-in meetings once a term with PHASE course faculty.
- Submission of PHASE Student Monthly Update Reports on the 15th of each month.
- An internship agreement form to be completed with the preceptor.
- A concept paper outlining goals and intent of project.
- A final paper highlighting the student's experience, results, and lessons learned.
- A 15-minute oral presentation of the student's experience at the mandatory final PHASE symposium at MDH. Symposium attendance includes course faculty, preceptors and other interested public health practitioners and academicians.
Important Assignments and Deadlines for 2019-2020
|Assignment||% of Grade|
|Internship Agreement Form||5%||November 11, 2019|
|Concept Paper||15%||November 27, 2019|
|Monthly Update Report||5%||15th of every month|
|PHASE Check-in Meetings||5%||Varies - see next table|
|Final Paper||25%||May 4, 2020|
|Oral Presentation at PHASE Symposium||15%||May 8, 2020|
|Student Evaluation of Program||5%||May 8, 2020|
|Student Performance Evaluation (completed by preceptor/Course Faculty)||25%||May 11, 2020|
|Orientation Lunch||October 30, 2019|
|Check-in Term 2||December 11, 2019|
|Check-in Term 3||February 19, 2020|
|Check-in Term 4||April 8, 2020|
*Required to attend all meetings. Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
Review the Course Syllabus:
- The 2019-2020 syllabus will be posted soon. Please contact Paulani Mui (email@example.com) with any questions regarding course content.
Review Frequently Asked Questions