Skip Navigation

Career Services



Because networking is the most effective means for getting a job.

Networking can mean different things for different people, but mainly networking is simply talking and listening to people and at the same time developing relationships around common interests and experiences. Or put even more simply, networking is how you met your friends, selected your classes, chose your concentration, or decided where to go for lunch/dinner.

It is important to know that only 15% of available jobs are advertised through online resources, newspapers and trade journals. That means that the other 85% are found by being in the right place at the right time or through word of mouth. So, the saying “It’s not what you know, but who you know!” takes on new meaning. The theory behind networking is relatively simple, but to get results, it takes work.

JHSPH Resources

  1. Networking 101 by Shelby Kemper (Sept. 6, 2019)
  2. Networking for New Professionals from Career Crash Course (Sept. 7, 2018)
  3. Networking for New Professionals Webinar (Sept. 9, 2014)
  4. Career Services Workshop: Networking for New Professionals (Sept. 16, 2013)
  5. Networking (from Career Planner)
  6. GoHopOnline (JHU Alumni database)

JHSPH & Johns Hopkins University LinkedIn Groups

  1. Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
  2. JHSPH LinkedIn Group
  3. Johns Hopkins Alumni University Group
  4. Bloomberg School's official LinkedIn group
  5. Tips for Using LinkedIn

Offered by LinkedIn Higher Education for Students, you can use the links below for valuable tips on what LinkedIn can do for you.

  1. Overview
  2. How to Find a Job Using LinkedIn (

Tips Sheets

  1. Building a Great Student Profile
  2. Finding a Job or Internships
  3. How to Network on LinkedIn
  4. Tailoring your Profile
  5. Communicating on LinkedIn
  6. Building your Personal Professional Brand
  7. LinkedIn Alumni Tool


  1. LinkedIn for Students: Overview
  2. LinkedIn for Students: Top Five Profile To-Do's
  3. What is LinkedIn?
  4. Building your Professional Brand
  5. Finding Your Career Passion
  6. Building a Professional Network
  7. Turning Relationships into Opportunities
  8. Researching & Prepping for Interviews