An interview is your opportunity to show a potential employer that you are the right person for the position. The employer is attempting to gauge whether you will fit into the organization’s culture. They want to know how interested you are in doing the work and if you can be counted on to get the job done.
If you are being called into an interview, then it means at least two things: you have the minimum qualifications and someone thinks you can do the job. The key to successful interviewing is convincing the interviewer(s) that you’re the “right fit” for the job. To set up an appointment for a mock interview, you can contact the Career Services Office directly.
- Interviewing for Career Success Webinar
- Interviewing Handout (Career Planner)
- Commonly Asked Interview Questions Handout
- Behavioral Interviewing & STAR Handout
TOP 10 INTERVIEWING TIPS
- Research the company and industry beforehand.
- Read the job description thoroughly.
- Look the part – dress for the position and the company.
- Be enthusiastic!
- Listen carefully to the question and answer the question asked.
- Tell memorable stories to illustrate strengths.
- Match your strengths to the position.
- Highlight your experience as a team player.
- If asked for examples, be as specific as possible.
- Leave something to remember you by – articles, portfolio, etc.