Skip Navigation

Career Services

Career Services For Faculty and Staff

The Career Services Office wants to help Bloomberg School faculty and staff in areas like hiring a work study student or writing a powerful student recommendation.

If you have additional questions, you can contact the Career Services Office directly. If you are interested in working at the Bloomberg School as a faculty or staff member, be sure to review our current job openings.

How to Hire a Work Study Student

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program provides part-time employment for eligible students who need financial assistance. The program receives federal funds (75 percent) plus funds provided by the employer (25 percent). Most FWS employees work between 15 and 19 hours per week with salaries generally ranging from $15 to $20 per hour. Students are only eligible for FWS employment during their enrollment and must meet the criteria for need-based Title IV Federal Financial Assistance.

To establish an FWS position, you must fill out a Federal Work Study Position Posting form, which is available from the Financial Aid Office. Employers must fill out new forms each year. Signatures and SAP Cost Center numbers (which will be charged the 25 percent portion of the salary expense) must be included on posting forms. Send completed forms to the Financial Aid Office.

FWS positions are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. If the position is approved, the Financial Aid Office will send a notification and additional instructions to the supervisor, and the position will be publicized as an FWS opportunity.

Interested students will then contact supervisors for interviews. A student who is eligible for FWS will present the supervisor with an FWS Authorization and Appointment Form. The supervisor then fills out Section 2 of the FWS Appointment and Authorization Form to hire the student.

How to Provide a Recommendation for a Student

If you need help writing recommendations for Bloomberg School students for graduate school, professional school or employment, you can contact the Career Services Office directly.

You can also review the National Association of Colleges and Employers' Guidelines for Reference Providers below, which include some useful tips.

Tips for Written References:

Tips for Verbal References: