Tips to Prepare for the Public Health Career Fair
Important information to help you prepare for the 2016 Public Health Career Fair:
1. Update your resume
- Shorten resume to one or two pages (front and back is OK). Be sure education is highlighted properly. Include only bullets for most current experience (1-2 bullets). Adjust margins to fill page -(L=0.5”, R=0.5”, T=0.5”, B=0.5”). Add publications (if applicable). Condense Professional Development. Choose most relevant categories (language & computer skills)
2. "Map out" employer tables
- Use 10-15 minutes before you start meeting employer representatives to "map out" where they are located in Feinstone Hall or the Gallery.
3. Create a "Top 12 List"
- Choose between 12-15 employers you would like to visit & break them into different tiers
- 3 or 4 employers you “absolutely” want to visit; 3 or 4 employers you “have a strong interest” to visit; 3 or 4 employers “have heard of" to visit; 3 or 4 employers “have not heard of" to visit
4. Career Fair Etiquette
- Do bring resumes & business cards (if you have them); Do bring positive attitude - You can't be enthusiam; Do bring a game-plan - research employers before the fair; Do bring questions - think of questions you might want to have answered when meeting face-to-face; Do follow-up - after the fair be sure to contact individuals to either thank them or to get more information
- Do not cruise with friends or wait in long lines; Do not eliminate employers - Visit employers you have not heard of; Do not drop-off your resume - Leaving your resume on the table and not talking to employers is not a good idea; Do not ramble - Avoid spending too much time at one employer; Do not come in the last ½ hr - Most employers will start packing up towards the end of the fair