MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2000
I am a clinical epidemiologist with experience in the development and execution of multi-site randomized clinical trials and healthcare redesign initiatives in real-world settings. My research has focused on interventions to improve the health of patients with chronic disease and disability, with particular emphasis on increasing knowledge and self-efficacy, reducing barriers, and improving shared-decision making. I have worked on the development of renal replacement therapy (RRT) decision-aids to support patient and families in shared-decision making and overseen the development and the management of RCTs to test the efficacy and effectiveness of intervention of these materials in patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease. I have expertise in engagement of patients, family members, and clinical staff to provide input into the overall design of clinical trials, as well as the refinement and delivery of interventions. In addition, I have served as an expert consultant for the Johns Hopkins Medicine Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMMI) Innovation award and for additional healthcare system program and workforce development.
- Boulware LE, Tangri N, Ephraim PL, Scialla JJ, Crews DC, Sozio SM, Shafi T, Miskulin D, Jaar BG, Wu A, Powe NR, Navaneethan S, Bandeen-Roche K. Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: The DEcIDE Patient Outcomes in End Stage Renal Disease Study. BMC Nephrol. 2012 Dec 6;13(1):167.
- Boulware LE, Hill-Briggs F, Kraus ES, Melancon JK, McGuire R, Bonhage B, Senga M, Ephraim P, Evans KE, Falcone B, Troll MU, Depasquale N, Powe NR. Protocol of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Culturally Sensitive Interventions to Improve African Americans’ and Non-African Americans’ Early, Shared, and Informed Consideration of Live Kidney Transplantation: The talking about Live Kidney Donation (TALK) study. BMC Nephrology, 12:34, 2011.
- Ephraim, PL, Powe NR, Rabb H, Ameling J, August P, Lewis-Boyer L, Greer RC, Crews DC, Purnell TS, Jaar BG, Depasquale N, Boulware LE. The Providing Resources to Enhance African American Patients' Readiness to Make Decisions about Kidney Disease (PREPARED) Study: Protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Nephrol. 2012 Oct 12;13:135.
- Strigo TS, Ephraim PL, Pounds I, Hill-Briggs F, Darrell L, Ellis M, Sudan D, Rabb H, Segev D, Wang N-Y, Kaiser M, Falkovic M, Lebov J, Boulware LE. The TALKS Study to Improve Communication, Logistical, and Financial Barriers to Live Donor Kidney Transplantation in African Americans: Protocol of a Randomized Clinical Trial. BMC Nephrology, BMC Nephrol. 2015 Oct 9;16:160.
- Green JA, Ephraim PL, Hill-Briggs F, Browne T, Strigo TS, Hauer CL, Sametz RA, Darer JD, Patel UD, Lang-Lindsey K, Brankes BL, Bolder SA, Danielson P, Ruff S, Schmidt L, Swoboda A, Woods P, Vinson B, Littlewood D, Jackson G, Pendergast JF, St. Clair Russel J, Collins K, Norfolk E, Bucaloiu ID, Kethireddy S, Collins C, Davis D, dePrisco J, Malloy D, Diamantidis CJ, Fulmer S, Martin J, Schatell D, Tangri N, Sees A, Siegrist C, Breed Jr. J, Medley A, Graboski E, Billet J, Hackenberg M, Singer D, Steward S, Alkon A, Bhavsar N, Lewis-Boyer L, Martz C, Yule C, Greer C, Saunders M, Cameron B, Boulware LE. Putting Patients at the Center of Kidney Care Transitions: PREPARE NOW, a Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2018. Oct;73:98-110.
See all publications by Patti L. Ephraim