DrPH, Johns Hopkins University, 1981
General interests lie within the fields of health care policy and health services research and evaluation and in health care /population health informatics.
Specific areas of interest include: health IT / informatics as applied to population health & quality of care; primary/ambulatory care; quality of care; managed care & health insurance; health workforce planning; case-mix and risk-adjustment; and international comparisons of primary care organization & finance.
Honors and Awards
Academy Health "Impact Award" (for R&D with greatest impact on health and health care) - 2015
Former Director JHU Health Services Reseach & Policy PhD Program. 1999- 2013.
Past President of the Bloomberg School's Faculty Senate (2003-2004)
Fellow, Academy for Health Services Research and Policy (now known as AcademyHealth)
American Public Health Association (Medical Care Section)
American Medical Informatics Association
Atlantic Fellow In Public Policy. Awarded by the British Government (1999)
Member, Medicare Coverage Advisory Committee, 2004-2009
Member, National Blue Cross/Shield Research Advisory Committee, 2003-2006
Member Several Quality and Health IT related expert panels at the NQF,NCQA andCMS
Frequent guest and commentator on national and local NPR radio shows and local PBS Television
- Gamache R, Kharrazi H, Weiner JP. Public and Population Health Informatics: The Bridging of Big Data to Benefit Communities. Yearb Med Inform. 2018 Aug;27(1):199-206. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30157524
- Kan HJ, Kharrazi H, Leff B, Boyd C, Davison A, Chang HY, Kimura J, Wu S,Anzaldi L, Richards T, Lasser EC, Weiner JP. Defining and Assessing Geriatric Risk Factors and Associated Health Care Utilization Among Older Adults Using Claims and Electronic Health Records. Med Care. 2018 Mar;56(3):233-239. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29438193
- Hatef E, Lasser EC, Kharrazi HHK, Perman C, Montgomery R, Weiner JP. A Population Health Measurement Framework: Evidence-Based Metrics for Assessing Community-Level Population Health in the Global Budget Context. Popul Health Manag. 2018 Aug;21(4):261-270. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29035630
- Kharrazi H, Chi W, Chang HY, Richards TM, Gallagher JM, Knudson SM, Weiner JP. Comparing Population-based Risk-stratification Model Performance Using Demographic, Diagnosis and Medication Data Extracted From Outpatient Electronic Health Records Versus Administrative Claims. Med Care. 2017 Aug;55(8):789-796. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28598890
- Kharrazi H, Lasser EC, Yasnoff WA, Loonsk J, Advani A, Lehmann HP, Chin DC, Weiner JP. A proposed national research and development agenda for population health informatics: summary recommendations from a national expert workshop. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2017 Jan;24(1):2-12. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27018264
See all publications by Jonathan Weiner