PhD, Wharton Business School, 1996
MPH, University of California, Los Angeles, 1987
MD, University of California San Diego Medical School, 1987
Dr. Bishai's major research interest is the economics of public health practice.
His current projects focus on the connection between the operations at national, state and local health departments and improved population health. He is currently conducting work on public health in Qatar, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, China, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. He teaches Introduction to Health Economics, Poverty Economic Development and Health, Systems Thinking in Public Health.
Honors and Awards
President, International Health Economics Association 2018-2019
Board Certification and Recertification: American Board of Pediatrics and American Board of Internal Medicine, 1991 to present
Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Award (AMTRA), 2006.
Golden Apple Award for Teaching, 2015.
President Faculty Senate 2016.
Selected publications back to 2013.
- Bishai, D., M. K. Sherry*, C. Pereira, S. Chicumbe, F. Mbofana, A. Boore, M. Smith, L. Nhambi and N. Borse (2016). "Development and Usefulness of a District Health Systems Tool for Performance Improvement in Essential Public Health Functions in Botswana and Mozambique." Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 22 (6) 586-596.
- Bishai, D. (2015) “Generalized nutrient taxes can increase consumer welfare" Health Economics In Press. DOI: 10.1002/hec.3190
- Alfonso, Y. N., G. Ding and D. Bishai (2015). "Income Elasticity of Vaccines Spending versus General Healthcare Spending." Health Economics Vol 25 (7) 860-872. DOI: 10.1002/hec.3190
- Diamond-Smith, N*. Bishai, D. (2014) Evidence of Self-Correction of Child Sex Ratios in India: A District Level Analysis from 1981-2011 Demography 2014:1-26..
- Bishai, D, Hindin, M, Christiansen, S, Mustafa, G, Razzaque, (2014) A “Selection bias in the link between in child wantedness and child survival: Theory and data from Matlab, Bangladesh” Demography 52_61-82. nihms-629711.nxml
See all publications by David M. Bishai