PhD, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1978
MS, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1974
Health and Wellbeing in Baltimore
Youth Violence Prevention
Urban Health Institute
Honors and Awards
1988, 1990 Chair, Mental Health Section, American Public Health Association
1991 - American Public Health Association, Chairman’s Award
1992 - American Public Health Association, Section Award
2005 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Service Award, Johns Hopkins University
2010 - Realizing the Dream – Larry Young’s A.C.E.; “Yes We Can!” Award
2011 - Agus-Shehan Interfaith Award
2014 - First Baltimorphosis Changemaker Award
2015 - NAACP Thurgood Marshall Legacy Award
Our focus is on identifying how the geographic and other distributions of risk and protective factors can affect the onset and prevalence of substance use and mental health problems and the persistence and consequences of these problems. Community and family factors can positively or negatively impact risk and/or the outcomes from implementations. This research has increased our understanding of these issues and facilitated the more effective targeting of interventions.
- Milam, A.J., Furr-Holden, C.D.M., Leaf, P.J., Webster, D.: (2016). Managing Conflicts in Urban Communities: Youth Attitudes Regarding Gun Violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence Mar 27. PMID: 27021734.
- Ostrow L, Steinwachs D, Leaf PJ, Naeger S.: (2015). Medicaid Reimbursement of Mental Health Peer-Run Organizations: Results of a National Survey. Adm Policy Ment. Health. July 29. PMID: 26219825.
- Bradshaw, C.P., Waasdorp, T.E., & Leaf, P.J.: (2015). Examining variation in the impact of School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports: Findings from a randomized controlled effectiveness trial. Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol 107. No. 2, 546-557.
- Mendelson T, Tandon SD, O’Brennan L, Leaf PJ, Ialongo NS.: (2015). Brief Report: Moving prevention into schools: The impact of a trauma-informed school-based intervention. Journal Adolescence, Aug; 43: 142-147. PMID: 26119503.
- Stuart, E.A., Bradshaw, C.P., and Leaf, P.J.: Assessing the generalizability of randomized trial results to target populations. Prev. Sci. 2014 Oct 12. PMID: 25307417
See all publications by Philip J. Leaf