PhD, University of Oregon, 1987
HIV prevention and care among disadvantaged populations, domestic and international approaches to behavior change, social and personal network analysis, neighborhood factors and health behaviors, injection drug users, STIs, alcohol, harm reduction, mental health, social support, social context and risk behavior, integrating qualitative and quantitative methods.
My work focuses on HIV and STI prevention and care with disadvantaged populations, mental health and distress among inner-city residents, the role of substance abuse on HIV risk behaviors, and measurement of social-contextual factors including social and personal network analysis, neighborhood characteristics, and geographic information systems among disadvantaged populations. I have helped design, implement, and evaluate over a dozen randomized clinical trials of behavioral social network oriented interventions for disadvantaged populations.
- Latkin CA, Knowlton AR. Social Network Assessments and Interventions for Health Behavior Change: A Critical Review. Behav Med. 2015;41(3):90-7. doi: 10.1080/08964289.2015.1034645. PubMed PMID: 26332926.
Latkin C, Donnell D, Liu TY, Davey-Rothwell M, Celentano D, Metzger D. The dynamic relationship between social norms and behaviors: the results of an HIV prevention network intervention for injection drug users. Addiction. 2013 May;108(5):934-43. PubMed PMID: 23362861; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3628934
- Latkin CA, Davey-Rothwell MA, Knowlton AR, Alexander KA, Williams CT, Boodram B. Social network approaches to recruitment, HIV prevention, medical care, and medication adherence. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013 Jun 1;63 Suppl 1:S54-8. PubMed PMID: 23673888; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3669900.
- Latkin CA, German D, Vlahov D, Galea S. Neighborhoods and HIV: a social ecological approach to prevention and care. Am Psychol. 2013 May-Jun;68(4):210-24. PubMed PMID: 23688089; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3717355
- Latkin CA, Murray LI, Clegg Smith K, Cohen JE, Knowlton AR. The prevalence and correlates of single cigarette selling among urban disadvantaged drug users in Baltimore, Maryland. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 Oct 1;132(3):466-70. PubMed PMID: 23578589; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3737406.
- Latkin CA, Mai NV, Ha TV, Sripaipan T, Zelaya C, Le Minh N, Morales G, Go VF. Social Desirability Response Bias and Other Factors That May Influence Self-Reports of Substance Use and HIV Risk Behaviors: A Qualitative Study of Drug Users in Vietnam. AIDS Educ Prev. 2016 Oct;28(5):417-425. PubMed PMID: 27710083.
See all publications by Carl Latkin