PhD, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 2014
MSPH, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2009
BS, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2005
I am an environmental neuroepidemiologist with primary research interests in environmental risk factors for neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative disorders. Specifically, I study combined environmental and occupational exposures to metals over the life course and subsequent individual and transgenerational neurological outcomes, including autism spectrum disorder, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and dementia. Additionally, I continue to investigate the influence of disparities in autism assessment and service provision along with environmental justice issues in underserved communities.
Publications highlighting my research interests:
- Dickerson AS, Hansen J, Specht AJ, Gredal O, Weisskopf MG. (2019) Population-based study of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and occupational lead exposure in Denmark. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 76(4):208-214
- Dickerson AS and Dickerson AS. (2018) Brief Report: Texas School District Autism Prevalence in Children from Non-English-Speaking Homes. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dickerson AS, Rotem R, Christian MA, Nguyen VY, Specht AJ. (2017) Potential sex differences relative to autism spectrum disorder and metals. Current Environmental Health Reports. 4(4):405-414.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Pearson DA, Kirby RS, Bakian A, Bilder D, Pettygrove S, Harrington R, Moyé L, Zahorodny W, Wingate MS, Durkin M. (2017) Autism Spectrum Disorder reporting in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods. Autism: The International Journal of Research and Practice. 21(4): 470-480.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Bakian A, Bilder D, Harrington R, Pettygrove S, Kirby R, Durkin M, Han I, Moyé L, Pearson DA, Wingate MS, Zahorodny W. (2016) Autism Spectrum Disorder prevalence and associations with ambient air concentrations of lead, mercury and arsenic. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 188(7): 407
See all publications by Aisha S. Dickerson