ScD, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2017
MA, Boston University, 2014
BA, Boston College, 2012
I am a health economist with research interests in understanding health system strength, sustainability, and efficiency in low and lower-middle income countries, applying behavioral economics to the economic evaluation of public health policy, incentive design for the health workforce, and understanding the medium and long-term causal impact of health investments on non-health sectors. I am also interested in the applied topics of sustainable health finance and the integration of donor-funded health investments into domestic health systems, particularly with respect to HIV/AIDS.
I have particular policy and research experience in several countries including: Angola, Botswana, Bhutan, Ethiopia, Guyana, India, Kenya, Namibia, Romania, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, and Vietnam.
I hold a doctoral degree in Global Health Economics from Harvard, a M.A. in Global Development Economics from Boston University, and a B.A in International Economics from Boston College. Prior to my appointment at Johns Hopkins, I served as the Senior Economist in the Office of HIV/AIDS at USAID.
Most Recent Publications:
- “Intra-Household Nutrient Inequity in Rural Ethiopia.” Coates, Jennifer, Bryan N. Patenaude, Beatrice Lorge Rogers, Alemzewed Challa Roba, Yitbarek Kidane Woldetensay, Addisalem Fikre Tilahun, and Kathryn L. Spielman. Food Policy. October 19, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.10.006.
- "Malaria control across borders: quasi-experimental evidence from the Trans-Kunene malaria initiative (TKMI)".
Khadka A, Perales NA, Wei DJ, Gage AD, Haber N, Verguet S, Patenaude B, Fink G.
Malar J. 2018 Jun 4;17(1):224. doi: 10.1186/s12936-018-2368-4.
- "The impact of ART initiation on household food security over time".
Patenaude BN, Chimbindi N, Pillay D, Bärnighausen T.
Soc Sci Med. 2018 Feb;198:175-184. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.11.036. Epub 2017 Nov 26.
- "The economic burden of epilepsy in Bhutan".
Wibecan L, Fink G, Tshering L, Bruno V, Patenaude B, Nirola DK, Dorji C, Dema U, Pokhrel D, Mateen FJ; Bhutan Epilepsy Project.
Trop Med Int Health. 2018 Apr;23(4):342-358. doi: 10.1111/tmi.13035. Epub 2018 Feb 23.
- "Quality of life in epilepsy-31 inventory (QOLIE-31) scores: A global comparison".
Saadi A, Patenaude B, Mateen FJ.
Epilepsy Behav. 2016 Dec;65:13-17. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2016.09.032. Epub 2016 Nov 11. Review.
See all publications by Bryan N. Patenaude