PhD, McGill University, 2015
MPH, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2004
BS, Valdosta State University, 2001
I am an Epidemiologist with a focus on methodology and an interest in utilizing metagenomic technologies to investigate the role of the human microbiome in chronic childhood undernutrition, growth and development.
In my research, I utilize “-omics” data and bioinformatic tools to identify and characterize the dynamics of the microbial communities that collectively comprise the human microbiome, and apply epidemiologic and biostatistical methods to elucidate modifiable causal pathways from these data.
Honors and Awards
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2015
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, 2015
Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel Award, 2011
Graduate Program for International Travel Award, 2011
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2011
PBEEE/Quebec Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students, Fonds de recherché du Quebec, 2010 (DECLINED)
- Bourke CD, Gough EK, Pimundu G, Shonhai A, Berejena C, Terry L, Baumard L, Choudhry N, Karmali Y, Bwakura-Dangarembizi M, Musiime V, Lutaakome J, Kekitiinwa A, Mutasa K, Szubert AJ, Spyer MJ, Deayton JR, Glass M, Geum HM, Pardieu C, Gibb DM, Klein N, Edens TJ, Walker AS, Manges AR, Prendergast1 AJ.Cotrimoxazole reduces systemic inflammation in HIV infection by altering the gut microbiome and immune activation. Sci Transl Med 2019; 11:eaav0537.
- Gough EK, Moodie EMM, Prendergast AJ, Ntozini R, Moulton LH, Humphrey JH, Manges AR. Linear growth trajectories in Zimbabwean infants. Am J Clin Nutr 2016; 104(6):1616-1627.
- Gough EK, Prendergast AJ, Mutasa K, Stoltzfus R, Manges AR, Sanitation Hygiene Infant Nutrition Efficacy (SHINE) Trial Team. Assessing the intestinal microbiota in the SHINE trial. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61 (Suppl 7): S738-44.
- Gough EK, Stephens DA, Moodie EEM, Prendergast AJ, Stoltzfus RJ, Humphrey JH, Manges AR. Linear growth faltering in infants is associated with Acidominococcus sp. and community-level changes in the gut microbiota. Microbiome 2015; 3:24.
- Gough EK, Moodie EEM, Prendergast AJ, Johnson SMA, Humphrey JH, Stoltzfus RJ, Trehan I, Gibb DM, Walker AS, Goto R, Tahan S, de Morais MB, Manges AR. The impact of antibiotics on growth in children in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. British Medical Journal 2014; 348: g2267.
See all publications by Ethan K. Gough