PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2017
MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2008
BA, University of Baltimore, 2006
I am a public health researcher whose work sits at the nexus of mental health, research methodology, and technology. My research seeks to improve mental health outcomes among vulnerable populations, especially youth with a developmental disability. My primary area of work involves understanding the phenomenology, epidemiology, and treatment of mental health crises. I am also particularly interested in assessing the effectiveness of community-based mental health programs, psychometrics and measure development, developing methods to address selection bias, and use of health information systems and emerging technologies to improve clinical care and research methodologies.
Honors and Awards
2018 NIMH CHIPS Fellow
2016 Morton Kramer Award for Excellence in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, JHBSPH
2015 Wendy Klag Scholar, JHBSPH
2015 NIMH New Investigators Workshop, Selected Invitee
2013 NIMH Children Services Training Pre-doctoral Fellow, JHBSPH
- Kalb, L., Hagopian, L., Gross, A., & Vasa, R. (2018) Psychometric Characteristics of the Mental Health Crisis Assessment Scale in Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry (Epub; doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12748).
- Kalb, L., Stuart, E., Mandell, D., Olfson, M., & Vasa, R. (2018) Management of Mental Health Crises among Children with and without Autism Spectrum Disorder: A National Survey of Child Psychiatrists. Psychiatric Services (Epub; doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201600332).
- Kalb, L., Stuart, E., Vasa, R. (2018). Characteristics of Psychiatric Emergency Department Use among Privately Insured Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism. Epub, doi: 10.1177/1362361317749951
- Kalb, L., Freedman, B., Foster, C., Menon, D., Kisfy, L., Landa, R., & Law, P (2012). Determinants of Appointment Attendance at an Outpatient Pediatric Autism Clinic. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 33 (9), 685-697.
- Kalb, L., Stuart, E., Freedman, B., Zablotsky, B., & Vasa, R. (2012). Psychiatric-related Emergency Department Visits among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatric Emergency Care 28 (12), 1269-1276