PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 2014
MPH, Walden University, 2010
BA, Washington & Jefferson College, 2008
I am committed to improving women’s health by understanding and addressing disparities in intimate partner violence (IPV) and associated sexual/reproductive health outcomes. My research agenda is inspired by my increasing understanding of how experiences of IPV intersect with broader social constructs and perpetuate deeply entrenched disparities from a research perspective. My passion is to improve women’s sexual/reproductive health by reducing IPV and the impact of related socio-ecological determinants. I draw on theories of gender, power and social ecology and employ a community-based participatory approach and mixed methods.
Honors and Awards
Rev. Melvin Tuggle Community Excellence Award, Special Commendation (2017)
Jonas Salk Fellow, Jewish Healthcare Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA (2013-14)
NAACP Keynote Speaker for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration (2013)
Phi Sigma Biological Sciences Honor Society (2007)
Traveler’s Research Fellowship, Weill Cornell Medical College (2007)
Rules, Hughes, Murphy Award (2006)
Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society (2005)
Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholarship Fellow (2004-14)
Multicultural Academic Success Collaborative Award (2004)
My research focuses on racial/ethnic disparities in intimate partner violence and women's sexual/reproductive health and the influence of social determinants on health outcomes.
- Holliday CN, Miller E, Decker MR, et al. Racial Differences in Pregnancy Intention, Reproductive Coercion, and Partner Violence among Family Planning Clients: A Qualitative Exploration. Women’s Health Issues. 2018; 28(3):205-211. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2018.02.003.
- Holliday, CN, McCauley, HL, Silverman, JG, Ricci, E, Decker, MR, Tancredi, DJ, … Miller, E. Racial/Ethnic Differences in Women’s Experiences of Reproductive Coercion, Intimate Partner Violence, and Unintended Pregnancy. J Women's Health. 2017;26(8):828-835. doi:10.1089/jwh.2016.5996.
- Decker MR, Flessa S, Pillai RV., et al. Implementing Trauma-Informed Partner Violence Assessment in Family Planning Clinics. J Women’s Health. 2017;26(9):jwh.2016.6093. doi:10.1089/jwh.2016.6093.
- Sabri B, Holliday CN, Alexander KA, et al. Cumulative Violence Exposures: Black Women’s Responses and Sources of Strength. Soc Work Public Health. 2016;1918(April). doi:10.1080/19371918.2015.1087917.
- Holliday C, Rummel S, Hooke J a, Shriver CD, Ellsworth DL, Ellsworth RE. Genomic instability in the breast microenvironment? A critical evaluation of the evidence. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2009;9(7):667-678. doi:10.1586/erm.09.55.
See all publications by Charvonne N. Holliday