ScD, Johns Hopkins University, 1993
MS, Princeton University, 1982
BSc, University of Cape Town, 1978
My research aims to reduce mortality and morbidity in under-served populations in the United States and abroad. The underlying discipline bases for this research are epidemiology, community randomized trials and biostatistics. Areas of focus include (1) maternal, neonatal and child health, (2) nutritional deficiencies and (3) infectious diseases.
Current projects include
1. Identify and prioritize modifiable risk factors for stillbirths, preterm and/or small-for-gestational age birth, and early and late neonatal mortality using monthly data from late first trimester through labor and delivery from 3 trials in rural Nepal.
2. Primary data collection to validate maternal recall of receipt of nutrition and other interventions in antenatal care and pregnancy in Nepal.
3. A randomized trial to test the efficacy of a balanced protein energy supplement for daily use during pregnancy on the outcomes of pregnancy and growth of infants during the first 6 months of life in Sarlahi District, Nepal.
4. Granular age-specific data analysis of under 5 child mortality patterns using pregnancy and live birth cohorts from low and middle income countries.
5. Estimate global prevalence of preterm, small-for-gestational-age and low birth weight and the impact of these adverse birth outcomes on neonatal mortality.
Honors and Awards
2019 Golden Apple teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2018 Ernest Lyman Stebbins Medal for extraordinary contributions to the educational programs of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2016 Maryland Women's Hall of Fame
2014 Children's Prize
2011 Johns Hopkins Alumni Knowledge for the World Award
2011 Global Health Excellence in Advising Award, Johns Hopkins University
2011 Golden Apple teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2002, 2005, 2011
2009 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Fellow
2009 American Academy of Ophthalmology Recognition of Outstanding Service to the Profession of Ophthalmology
Fellow, American College of Epidemiology, 1994
Delta Omega, 1993