PhD, Friedrich Alexander University, 2013
MS, Dresden University of Technology, 2010
BS, University of Regensburg, 2006
The focus of my work is mobile health (mHealth) research to study substance use behavior based on event-level data. I am also using technology, including smartphones, text messaging, and social media, to develop, test, and deliver evidence based cognitive behavioral interventions to prevent and treat substance use disorders.
Honors and Awards
2018 Participant, NCI-CRUK Sandpit Workshop “Implementing Digital Health Interventions for Cancer Prevention”, Potomac, MD
2017 Travel award, College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD)
2016 Travel award, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco – Europe (SRNT-E)
2015 Participant, NIH mHealth Training Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
2015 Travel award, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT)
2012 Travel award, German Academic Exchange Service
2008 – 2009 Fulbright Fellowship, German-American Fulbright Commission
- Schneider, K.E., Tormohlen, K.N., Brooks-Russell, A., Johnson, R.M., & Thrul, J. (2019). Patterns of co-occurring modes of marijuana use among Colorado high school students. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Nguyen, N., McQuoid, J., Ramo, D.E., Holmes, L.M., Ling, P.M., & Thrul, J. (2018). Real-time predictors of smoking among sexual minority and heterosexual young adults: an Ecological Momentary Assessment study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 92, 51-58.
- Thrul, J., Belohlavek, A., Hambrick, D, Kaur, M., Ramo, D.E. (2017). Conducting online focus groups on Facebook to inform health behavior change interventions: Two case studies and lessons learned. Internet Interventions, 9, 106-111.
- Thrul, J., Labhart, F., & Kuntsche, E. (2017). Drinking with mixed-gender groups is associated with heavy weekend drinking among young adults. Addiction, 112(3), 432-439.
- Thrul, J., Klein, A.B., & Ramo, D.E. (2015). Smoking cessation intervention on Facebook: Which content generates the best engagement? Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(11), e244.
See all publications by Johannes Thrul