PhD, Utrecht University/Harvard Institutes of Medicine, 2010
MS, University of Groningen, 2004
The focus of my research group is to understand the effects of environmental exposures on the development and function of our immune system.
Major research directions:
Understanding the long-term effects of early-life and/or chronic arsenic exposures on immunity and infectious disease as well as cancer risk. - Currently:
1. Studying the influence of arsenic on tuberculosis, influenza and cancer risk. a. Unraveling the mechanisms driving the sex-specific immune-related effects of arsenic exposure.
b. Determining how arsenic exposure affects pregnant females in health and during influenza infection.
c. Investigating the effects of in utero arsenic exposure on the placenta as well as fetal organ and immune development.
d. Mapping tissue-specific arsenic speciation.
2. Establishing an integrated platform for immunotoxicity testing of early-life chemical exposures.
3. Investigating the effects chronic as well as early-life exposures on immunological memory and vaccine efficacy.
4. Investigating the "immunome" in collaborative exposome studies.
5. Sex differences and the cytokine storm associated with COVID-19 mortality
Besides my own lab efforts I also lead:
a. The Alternatives to Developmental Immunotoxicity Testing working group within the Center for Alternative Animal Testing (CAAT)
b. The Exposome Collaborative at Johns Hopkins University (Director) https://ehe.jhu.edu/research/the-exposome-collaborative/index.html
Honors and Awards
2019, JHSPH Ho-Ching Yang Memorial Faculty Innovation Award
2018-2019, Science Communication Fellowship, Advancing Green Science
2016, Society of Toxicology, Immunotoxicology Specialty Section Best Presentation by a Postdoctoral Trainee Award for presentation on: "Long-term effects of early-life arsenic exposure on innate immunity"
2015-2020, NIEHS K99/R00 NIH Pathway to Independence Award entitled “Long-term Effects of Early-Life Arsenic Exposure on Immunity” (NIEHS - K99ES024808 / R00ES024808 start date: 9/1/2015)
2015, NorCal Society of Toxicology, Postdoctoral Achievement Award
2015, Society of Toxicology, HESI Young Investigator Endowment Award
2005-2007, Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds PhD Fellowship
2003, Groningen University Fund: Award for international fellowship
2003, Marco Polo Fund, Groningen University: Award for international fellowship