PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2004
MA, Johns Hopkins University, 1997
BS, Siena College, 1986
Susan Higman, PhD, is a maternal and child health researcher, with projects related to both US early childhood programs and global health initiatives. She has recently returned to the Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health after working with the Global Health Council and John Snow Inc., where her work focused on informing policy related to MCH, reproductive health, and other global health issues. Her work with these nonprofit and implementing organizations included promoting evidence-based solutions, analyzing data on key health indicators, disseminating information to a diverse audience and convening stakeholders from diverse backgrounds to address problems facing children and families. Currently, her research is focused on analyzing early childhood intervention models through the Home Visiting Research Network.
Honors and Awards
The 2001 Willian Endowment for Excellence in Science, Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health Award.
The 2005 Pro Humanitate Literary Award: Herbert Raskin Child Welfare Article Award, from The Center for Child Welfare Policy of the North American Resource Center Annual Award.
In addition to papers in academic journals, many of my publications are project-specific reports or briefs for funding organizations.
- Higman S, Dwivedi V, Nsaghurwe A, Busiga M, Sotter HR, Smith D, Wright C, Nyinondi S, Nyella E. Designing Interoperable Health Information Systems using Enterprise Architecture Approach in Resource-limited Countries: A literature review. International Journal of Health Planning and Management, https://doi.org/10.1002/hpm.2634.
- West A, Gagliardi L, Gatewood A, Higman S, Daniels J, O’Neill K, and Duggan A. Randomized trial of a training program to improve home visitor communication around sensitive topics. Maternal and Child Health Journal, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-018-2531-0.
- Higman SM, Lai Y, Lauzon S, Garcia S, Minkovitz C. National Performance Measure 13A oral health in pregnancy evidence review. Strengthen the Evidence Base for Maternal and Child Health Programs. Women’s and Children’s Health Policy Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. 2017. https://www.mchevidence.org/documents/reviews/npm_13a_oral_health_in_pregnancy_evidence_review_june_2017.pdf.
- Higman, S. The burden of cancer in developing countries – a Global Health Council report on the cancer advocacy and learning initiative. Washington, DC: Global Health Council. June 2010.
- Duggan A., Fuddy L, Burrell L, Higman SM, McFarlane E, Windham A, and Sia C. Randomized trial of a statewide home visiting program to prevent child abuse: Impact in reducing parental risk factors. Child Abuse & Neglect, 2004; 28(6): 623-643.
See all publications by Susan M. Higman