PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2013
MA, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2005
Dr. Susan Hannum is an interdisciplinary gerontologist whose broad research agenda focuses on chronic illness among aging populations. Dr. Hannum's primary interests surround socio-cultural aspects of cancer and cancer survivorship; she is additionally interested in chronic illness management, care implementation, patient outcomes, and issues of death and dying. Dr. Hannum is deeply committed to research that will inform and influence the future of care for those with cancer and other chronic conditions, while increasing quality of life and reducing the burden of illness among aging populations.
Most recent publications:
- Hannum, S.M., Smith, K.C., Coa, K., & Klassen, A. (2016). Identity reconstruction among older cancer survivors; Age and meaning in the context of a life altering illness. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology. Ahead of print. DOI: 10.1080/07347332.2016.1221017. PMID: 27715772.
- Smith, K.C., Tolbert, E., Hannum, S.M., Radhakrishnan, A., Zorn, K., Blackford, A., Greco, S., Smith, K.L., & Snyder, C.F. (2016). Comparing web-based provider-initiated and patient-initiated survivorship care planning for cancer patients: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, Cancer, 2(2): e12. Ahead of print. DOI: 10.2196/cancer.5947.
- Hannum, S.M. (2016). Meeting the self at the crossroads: Thoughts on aging as a young cancer survivor. The Gerontologist. In Press. DOI: 10.1093/geront/gnw109. PMID: 27507684.
- Hannum, S.M. & Rubinstein, R.L. (2016). The meaningfulness of time: Narratives of cancer among chronically ill older adults. Journal of Aging Studies, 36, 17-25. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaging.2015.12.006. PMID: 26880601 PMCID: PMC4757851. NIHMSID: NIHMS746736.
- Smith, K.C., Klassen, A.C., Coa, K.I, & Hannum, S.M. (2015). The salience of cancer and the 'survivor' identity for people who have completed acute cancer treatment: A qualitative study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship: Research and Practice, 10(3), 457–466. DOI: 10.1007/s11764-015-0489-0. PMID: 26462498. PMCID: PMC4833692.
See all publications by Susan M. Hannum