PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2013
MA, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2005
Dr. Susan Hannum (she/her) is an interdisciplinary gerontologist whose broad research agenda focuses on chronic illness among aging populations. Dr. Hannum's primary interests surround socio-cultural aspects of cancer and cancer survivorship; she is additionally interested in chronic illness management, care implementation, and patient outcomes. Dr. Hannum is deeply committed to research that will inform and influence the future of care for those with cancer and other chronic conditions, while increasing quality of life and reducing the burden of illness among aging populations.
- Sloan, D.H., Hannum, S.M., DeGroot, L., Dy, S.M., Waldfogel, J., Chyr, L., Heughan, J.A., Zhang, A., Wilson, R.F., Yuan, C.T., Wu, D.S., Robinson, K.A., Cotter, V.T. (2021). Advance care planning shared decision-making tools for non-cancer chronic serious illness: A mixed method systematic review. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Accepted, In Press.
- Al Hamayel, N., Waldfogel, J.M., Hannum, S.M., Brodsky, R.A., Bolaños-Meade, J., Gamper, C.J., Jones, R.J., & Dy, S.M. (2021). Pain experiences of adults with sickle cell disease and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A qualitative study. Pain Medicine. pnaa464, https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnaa464
- Hannum, S.M., Abebe, E., Xiao, Y., Brown, R. Peña, I.M., & Gurses, A.P. (2020). Engineering care transitions: Clinician perceptions of barriers to safe medication management during transitions of patient care. Special Issue of Applied Ergonomics, 91. DOI: 10.1016/j.apergo.2020.103299
- Hannum, S.M., Dy, S.M., Smith, K.C., & Kamal, A.H. (2019). Proposed criteria for systematic evaluation of qualitative oncology research. Journal of Oncology Practice. (Invited Manuscript), DOI: JOP.19.00125
- Hannum, S.M., Smith, K., Coa, K., & Klassen, A.C. (2016). Identity reconstruction among older cancer survivors: Age and meaning in the context of a life-altering illness. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 34(6), 477–492. DOI: 10.1080/07347332.2016.1221017
See all publications by Susan M. Hannum