PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2013
MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2012
MPH, Oregon Health & Science University, 2004
Dr. Weir's research focuses on HIV prevention. His current HIV-related research includes needs assessment among Baltimore needle and syringe exchange clients and other people who inject drugs in Baltimore, effectiveness of pre-exposure prophylaxis among male sex workers in Thailand, and economic issues in HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment in Tanzania. An additional area of interest is using emergency medical services (EMS) data to describe the epidemiology of drug overdose, violent trauma, asthma, and other acute and chronic health conditions in Baltimore. Previously, Dr. Weir conducted public health research on a variety of health issues within local and state health departments.
Honors and Awards
2015 Recipient, Johns Hopkins University Center for AIDS Research Scholar Grant for Faculty Development
2016 Recipient, Johns Hopkins University Center for AIDS Research Innovator Award
2013 Member, Delta Omega Society
- Maulsby C, Jain KM, Weir BW, Enobun B, Riordan M, Charles VE, RiC Intervention Team, Holtgrave DR. The Cost and Threshold Analysis of Retention in Care (RiC): A Multi-Site National HIV Care Program. AIDS Behav. 2016 Nov 21. PMID: 27873083.
- Beyrer C, Crago AL, Bekker LG, Butler J, Shannon K, Kerrigan D, Decker MR, Baral SD, Poteat T, Wirtz AL, Weir BW, Barré-Sinoussi F, Kazatchkine M, Sidibé M, Dehne KL, Boily MC, Strathdee SA. An action agenda for HIV and sex workers. Lancet. 2015 Jan 17;385(9964):287-301. PMID: 25059950; PMCID: PMC4302059.
- Knowlton A, Weir BW, Hazzard F, Olsen Y, McWilliams J, Fields J, Gaasch W. EMS runs for suspected opioid overdose: implications for surveillance and prevention. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2013 Jul-Sep;17(3):317-29. PMID: 23734988; PMCID: PMC3682796.
- Nguyen TQ, Weir BW, Pinkerton SD, Des Jarlais DC, & Holtgrave DA. (2014). Syringe Exchange in the United States: A national level economic evaluation of hypothetical increases in investment. AIDS and Behavior, 18, 2144-2155. PMCID: PMC4211599.
- Weir BW, O’Brien K, Bard RS, Casciato C, Maher JE, Dent CW, & Stark MJ. (2009). Reducing HIV and partner violence risk among women with criminal justice system involvement: A randomized controlled trial of two Motivational Interviewing-based interventions. AIDS and Behavior, 13, 509–522. PMCID: PMC2855899.
See all publications by Brian Wilson Weir