PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2014
ScM, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2009
BA, Yale University, 2005
Dr. Ng's research interests include epidemiologic methods for the design and analysis of observational cohort studies, particularly in pediatrics. He is a multi-principal investigator of the Chronic Kidney Disease in Children (CKiD) study and co-leads the data analysis and management center (KIDMAC), with a particular focus on time-to-event and longitudinal data analysis, and epidemiologic issues related to measurement (GFR, remote data collection of physical activity). Dr. Ng also leads the data coordinating center for two studies in pediatric critical care, investigating the relationship between biomarkers of brain injury and severity in the context of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in order to identify potential prognostic factors that may eventually be used clinically. As an extension of his interest in study design and analysis, Dr. Ng collaborates with the Department of Environmental Health Sciences to investigate the detoxication of airborne pollutants by glucoraphanin and sulforaphane interventions.
Honors and Awards
Member, Delta Omega Alpha Chapter, Honorary Public Health Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Recognition (AMTRA) Award, 2018-2019.
- Ng DK, Schwartz GJ, Schneider MF, Furth SL, Warady BA. Combination of pediatric and adult formulas yield valid glomerular filtration rate estimates in young adults with a history of pediatric chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int 2018;94:170–7. doi:10.1016/j.kint.2018.01.034. PMID: 29735307
- Li Y, Greenbaum LA, Warady BA, Furth SL, Ng DK. Short stature in advanced pediatric CKD is associated with faster time to reduced kidney function after transplant. Pediatr. Nephrol. 2019;34(5):897–905. PMID: 30627858
- Bembea MM, Ng DK, Rizkalla N, et al. Outcomes After Extracorporeal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation of Pediatric In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: A Report From the Get With the Guidelines-Resuscitation and the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Registries. Crit. Care Med. 2019;47(4):e278–e285. PMID: 30747771
- Chen J-G, Johnson J, Egner P, Ng D, Zhu J, Wang J-B, et al. Dose-dependent detoxication of the airborne pollutant benzene in a randomized trial of broccoli sprout beverage in Qidong, China. Am J Clin Nutr 2019. doi:10.1093/ajcn/nqz122. PMID: 31268126
- Ng DK, Schwartz GJ, Warady BA, Furth SL, Muñoz A. A comparison of relationships of measured iohexol GFR and estimated GFR with CKD-related biomarkers in children and adolescents. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2017 May 24. pii: S0272-6386(17)30637-6. PMID: 28549535
See all publications by Derek K. Ng