PhD, University of Louisville, 2011
MPH, University of Louisville, 2007
I have begun to establish a record of research in breast cancer disparities, and aspire to continue research that will further enhance knowledge in the area of cancer disparities among African American women and underserved populations including the Baltimore and surrounding Maryland communities. My primary research focus is cancer health disparities in women from the epidemiological perspective among minorities and the underserved. In these special populations I am particularly interested in modifiable risk factors such as the associations between obesity, anthropometric measures and breast cancer risk and survival and also associations between specific obesity/insulin related genetic variants and breast cancer risk and outcomes; effects of physical activity and quality of life with breast cancer survivors; and adherence to recommended breast cancer screening practices.
Honors and Awards
2012 Delta Omega Honor Society, Beta Pi Chapter.
2014 Ho-Ching Yang Memorial Faculty Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2016 JH-BIRCWH Scholar, Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical & Translational Research
2018 University of Louisville, Alumni Fellow of the Year for the School of Public Health & Information Sciences
2018 Minority & MSI Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Award, American Association for
- Connor AE, Visvanathan K, Baumgartner KB, Baumgartner RN, Boone SD, Hines LM, Wolff RK, John EM, Slattery ML (2016) Ethnic differences in the relationships between diabetes, early age adiposity and mortality among breast cancer survivors: the Breast Cancer Health Disparities Study. Breast cancer research and treatment 157 (1): 167-178. doi:10.1007/s10549-016-3810-3
- Connor AE, Baumgartner RN, Pinkston CM, Boone SD, Baumgartner KB (2015) Obesity, ethnicity, and quality of life among breast cancer survivors and women without breast cancer: the long-term quality of life follow-up study. Cancer causes & control: CCC. doi:10.1007/s10552-015-0688-z
- Connor AE, Baumgartner RN, Baumgartner KB, Pinkston CM, Boone SD, John EM, Mejia GT, Hines LM, Giuliano AR, Wolff RK, Slattery ML (2014) Associations between ALOX, COX, and CRP polymorphisms and breast cancer among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women: The breast cancer health disparities study. Molecular carcinogenesis. doi:10.1002/mc.22228
- Connor AE, Baumgartner RN, Baumgartner KB, Kerber RA, Pinkston C, John EM, Torres-Mejia G, Hines L, Giuliano A, Wolff RK, Slattery ML (2012) Associations between TCF7L2 polymorphisms and risk of breast cancer among Hispanic and non-Hispanic White women: the Breast Cancer Health Disparities Study. Breast cancer research and treatment 136 (2):593-602. doi:10.1007/s10549-012-2299-7
- Connor A, Baumgartner RN, Kerber RA, O'Brien E, Rai SN, Wolff RK, Slattery ML, Giuliano AR, Risendal BC, Byers TE, Baumgartner KB (2012) ADRB2 G-G haplotype associated with breast cancer risk among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women: interaction with type 2 diabetes and obesity. Cancer causes & control : CCC 23 (10):1653-1663. doi:10.1007/s10552-012-0043-6
See all publications by Avonne E. Connor