MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2010
MD, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 2004
Elham Hatef, MD, MPH earned her medical degree from Tehran University of Medical Sciences, in Tehran, Iran and her Master in Public Health from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHBSPH). Dr. Hatef completed a preliminary year in Internal Medicine at Yale-affiliated Griffin Hospital in Connecticut and the Preventive Medicine Residency and Chief Residency at JHBSPH. She then completed the Clinical Informatics Practice Pathway at JHBSPH. Dr. Hatef is board certified in Preventive Medicine-Public Health and Clinical Informatics.
Dr. Hatef moved to the United States in 2006, where she learned to conduct clinical research in preventive medicine with a focus on preventive ophthalmology at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. She continued to pursue her interest in preventive medicine and prevention of blindness as a research postdoctoral fellow at Wilmer Eye Institute and as an MPH student with a focus on Epidemiology and Biostatistics at JHBSPH. She also worked with Cochrane Eye and Vision Group on systematic reviews in this field. After completing her training at JHBSPH she joined the Center for Population Health IT (CPHIT) where she conducts a number of projects in preventive medicine and population health with a focus on social determinants of health, using health information technology and Big Data. She also serves as the academic director of the Johns Hopkins General Preventive Medicine Residency Program. http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/residency-programs/general-preventive-medicine-residency/
Honors and Awards
2016-Present: Graduate Medical Education Committee, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2018-Present: Fellow of American College of Preventive Medicine, Washington, D.C.
2018-Present: American College of Preventive Medicine, Clinical Informatics Special Interest Group, Founding Member and Chair, Washington, D.C.
2018-2019: American College of Preventive Medicine, Design Hackathon Chair, Pittsburgh, PA
2014-2018: American College of Preventive Medicine, Annual Meeting Scientific Planning Committee Member and Co-chair of Health IT Track
2019 - President’s Award, American College of Preventive Medicine, Washington, D.C.
2018 - Travel Grant, Social Interventions Research & Evaluation Network (SIREN), University of California, San Francisco, State of the Science: A National Research Meeting on Medical & Social Care Integration
2010 - The Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Research Grant Award, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD
2009 - The Susan Bressler Research Grant Award, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD
2008 - Pediatric Ophthalmology Research Award, Knights Templar Eye Foundation, Schaumberg, IL
- Clinical Informatics & Population Health IT:
1. Hatef E, Kharrazi H, VanBaak E, Falcone M, Ferris L, Mertz K, Perman C, Bauman A, Lasser E, Weiner J. A State-wide Health IT Infrastructure for Population Health: Building a Community-wide Electronic Platform for Maryland’s All-Payer Global Budget. Online J Public Health Inform. 2017; 9(3):e195.
2. Hatef E, Lasser E, Kharrazi H, Perman C, Montgomery R, Weiner JP. A Population Health Measurement Framework: Evidence-based metrics for assessing community-level population health in the global budget context. J Popul Health Manag. 2017 Oct 16. doi: 10.1089/pop.2017.0112. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Hatef E, Alexander M, Vanderver B, Fagan P, Albert M. Assessment of annual diabetic eye examination using telemedicine technology among underserved patients in primary care setting. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2017;24(4):207-212.
4. Hatef E, Vanderver B, Fagan P, Albert M, Alexander M. Annual Diabetic Eye Examinations in a Managed Care Medicaid Population. Am J Manag Care. 2015;21(5):e297-e302.
- Preventive Medicine & Public Health:
1. Hatef E, Sharfstein J, Labrique A. Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Harnessing the Public Health Skillset in a New Era of Health Reforms and Investment. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2017 Oct 24. doi: 10.1097/PHH. 0000000000000665. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Hatef E, Lam C. Clinical Preventive Medicine: Causing More Identity Crisis for Preventive Medicine or Helping to Manage the Crisis. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Oct;53(4):e151-e152.
3. Hatef E, Haering S, Lam C, Alexander M. Preventive Medicine Physicians as Population Health Professionals: Career Paths of Preventive Medicine Physicians in the United States. Popul Health Manag. 2016 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Hatef E, Lam C. Preventive Medicine Curriculum: A Framework for Training Population Health Professionals. Popul Health Manag. 2016 July 15. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Chaudry SS, McGuire MJ, Lam C, Hatef E, Wright SM, Alexander MH. Teaching Integrative Medicine to Residents: A Focus on Populations Rather Than Individual Patients. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Nov;49 (5 Suppl 3).
- Prevention of Blindness:
1. Hatef E, Hanout M, Agbedia O, Moradi AR, Colantuoni E, Bittencourt M, Liu H, Sepah YJ, Ibrahim M, Do DV, Guyton DL, Nguyen QD. Longitudinal Comparison of Visual Acuity as Measured by the ETDR S Chart and by the Potential Acuity Meter in Eyes with Macular Edema and Its Relationship with Macular Thickness and Sensitivity. Eye (Lond). 2014 Oct;28(10):1239-45.
2. Hatef E, Colantuoni E, Wang J, Ibrahim M, Shulman M, Adhi F, Sepah YJ, Channa R, Khwaja A, Nguyen QD, Do DV. The Relationship between Macular Sensitivity and Retinal Thickness in Eyes with Diabetic Macular Edema. Am J Ophthalmol. 2011 Sep;152(3):400-405.e2. Epub 2011 Jun 21.
3. Mohammadi SF, Lashay MR, Ashrafi E, Haghdoust AA, Alinia C, Lashay AR, Asadi-Lari M, Mohammadi SM, Hatef E. Distribution of ophthalmologists and optometrists in Iran and their associated factors. East Mediterr Health J. 2017 Feb 1;22(12):880-886.
4. Hatef E, Mohammadi SF, Ashrafi E, Alinia C, Mohammadi M, Lashay A, Sadeghi-Tari A. National Burden of Eye Diseases in Iran 1990 & 2010; Findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jan-March;23(1):89-95.
See all publications by Elham Hatef