MD, University of Karachi Sindh Medical College, 1998
I am a trained surgeon and public health academic with an interest in emergency and trauma care. I received my clinical training in Karachi, Pakistan, and practiced for seven years before transitioning to full time public health career at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. My interests are in digital health, systems thinking and using health system frameworks for improving injury outcomes. So far the scope of my work includes use of digital technologies to improve injury and trauma data systems; data to improve policies to deliver safe medical services, injury prevention and control in vulnerable populations including migrant workers, measuring trauma outcomes in low-middle income countries and mixed methods techniques to perform health systems assessment.
Currently I am the Associate Director at the Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit, and most of my work is based in East Africa, Middle East and South East Asia.
Some selected publications related to road injury surveillance, development of trauma registries and trauma care.
- 2. Mehmood A, Taber N, Bachani A, Gupta S, Paichadze N, Hyder AA. Paper vs. Digital Data Collection for Road Safety Risk Factors: A reliability comparative analysis from three cities in low- and middle-income countries. Journal of Medical Internet Research 2019;2195):e13222. doi: 10.2196/13222. PMID: 31140431 PMCID: PMC6658257
- 6. Mehmood A, Hung YW, He Huan, Ali S, Bachani AM. Performance of injury severity measures in trauma research: a literature review and validation analysis of studies from Low- and Middle-Income Countries. BMJ Open 2018;0:e023161. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-023161
- 7. Mehmood A, Zia N, Kobusingye O, Namaganda R, Ssenyonjo H, Kiryabwire J, Hyder AA. Determinants of emergency department disposition of traumatic brain injury patients in Uganda, results from a registry. Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2018;0:e000253
- Mehmood A, Maung Z, Consunji RJ, El-Menyar A, Peralta R, Al-Thani H, Hyder AA. Work related injuries in Qatar: a framework for prevention and control. Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology. 2018 Dec;13(1):29.
- 8. Mehmood A, Rowther AA, Kobusingye O, Hyder AA. Assessment of pre-hospital emergency medical services in low-income settings using a Health Systems approach. International Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2018 Dec;11(53). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-018-0207-6
See all publications by Amber Mehmood