MD, University of Karachi Sindh Medical College, 1998
I am a trained surgeon and public health academic with an interest in emergency and trauma care. I received my clinical training in Karachi, Pakistan, and practiced for seven years before transitioning to full time public health career at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. My interests are in digital health, systems thinking and using health system frameworks for improving injury outcomes. So far the scope of my work includes use of digital technologies to improve injury and trauma data systems; data to improve policies to deliver safe medical services, injury prevention and control in vulnerable populations including migrant workers, measuring trauma outcomes in low-middle income countries and mixed methods techniques to perform health systems assessment.
Currently I am the Associate Director at the Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit, and most of my work is based in East Africa, Middle East and South East Asia.
Some selected publications related to road injury surveillance, development of trauma registries and trauma care.
- Mehmood A, Maung Z, Consunji RJ, El-Menyar A, Peralta R, Al-Thani H, Hyder AA. Work related injuries in Qatar: a framework for prevention and control. Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology. 2018 Dec;13(1):29.
- Mehmood A, Zia N, Hoe C, Kobusingye O, Ssenyojo H, Hyder AA. Traumatic brain injury in Uganda: exploring the use of a hospital based registry for measuring burden and outcomes. BMC research notes. 2018 Dec;11(1):299.
- Mehmood A, Chan E, Allen K, Al-Kashmiri A, Al-Busaidi A, Al-Abri J, Al-Yazidi M, Al-Maniri A, Hyder AA. Development of an mHealth trauma registry in the Middle East using an implementation science framework. Global health action. 2017;10(1):1380360.
- Mehmood A, Allen KA, Al-Maniri A, Al-Kashmiri A, Al-Yazidi M, Hyder AA. Trauma care in Oman: A call for action. Surgery. 2017 Mar 25.
- Mehmood A, Razzak JA, Kabir S, MacKenzie EJ, Hyder AA. Development and pilot implementation of a locally developed Trauma Registry: lessons learnt in a low-income country. BMC Emergency Medicine. 2013;13:4.
See all publications by Amber Mehmood