PhD, University of North Carolina, 2004
MPH, University of North Carolina, 1998
BA, Spelman College, 1996
Renee M. Johnson, PhD, MPH is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mental Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her research addresses the health of adolescents and emerging adults, with a focus on substance use and violence. Much of this work involves marginalized populations including people of color, LGBT youth, trauma-exposed youth, immigrants, and youth in low-income, urban areas.
Honors and Awards
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award for “The Epidemiology of Substance Use and Related Problems” (2020)
Johns Hopkins SOURCE Service-Learning Fellow (2019-20)
Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, Theta Chapter (2005)
- Linton S, Winiker A, Tormohlen KN, Schneider KE, McLain G, Sherman SG, Johnson RM. People don’t just start shooting heroin on their 18th birthday: a qualitative study of community stakeholders’ perspectives on adolescent opioid use and opportunities for intervention in Baltimore, Maryland. Prevention Science. 2021. Online ahead of publication: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-021-01226-7.
- Johnson RM, Hill A, Jones V, Powell T, Dean L, Gilreath T. Racial/ethnic inequities in adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and selected health-related behaviors and problems among Maryland adolescents. Health Promotion Practice. 2021. Online ahead of publication: https://doi.org/10.1177/15248399211008238.
- Jones AA, Schneider KE, Brighthaupt S-C, Johnson JK, Linton SL, Johnson RM. Heroin and nonmedical prescription opioid use among high school students in urban school districts. Drug & Alcohol Dependence. 2019; Online ahead of publication: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2019.107664.
- Johnson RM, Fleming CB, Cambron C, Brighthaupt S, Dean LT, Guttmannova K. Race/ethnicity differences in trends of marijuana, cigarette, and alcohol use among 8th, 10th, and 12th graders in Washington State, 2004-2016. Prevention Science 2019; 20: 194-204.
- Johnson RM, Guttmannova K. Marijuana use among adolescents & emerging adults in the midst of policy change: Introduction to the special issue. Prevention Science. 2019; 20(2):179-184.
See all publications by Renee M. Johnson