PhD, University of Waterloo, 2010
Ryan David Kennedy is a tobacco control researcher interested in policy development, implementation, and evaluation.
Ryan was a Research Fellow (2010-2011) and Research Associate (2011-2012) at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) in the department of Social and Behavioral Sciences. He worked on a study examining tobacco product design and opportunities for product regulation under the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. Between 2012 and 2013 Ryan worked at the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center in the Community Health Innovation and Research Program (CHIRP), supporting translational science efforts across Harvard.
During his graduate studies, Ryan worked with Dr. Geoffrey T. Fong and other investigators with the International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Project (ITC) at the University of Waterloo. Ryan worked on the longitudinal cohort study in France.
Ryan holds BES and MAES degrees from the Faculty of Environment at the University of Waterloo.
These publications reflect my work in tobacco control with a focus on policy to improve public health. I work to generate evidence that will support the development or improvement of tobacco regulation in the US and internationally including clean air laws, health warnings, cessation supports, and point-of-sale advertising and promotion.
- RD Kennedy, A Awopegba, E De León, JE Cohen. Global approaches to regulating electronic cigarettes. Tobacco Control. 2016 Nov 30:tobaccocontrol-2016.
- RD Kennedy, A Grant, M Spires, J Cohen. Point-of-sale tobacco advertising and display bans: results from a policy evaluation study using mobile data gathering methods in five Russian cities. JMIR Public Health Surveill 2017;3(3):e52) doi:10.2196/publichealth.6069
- RD Kennedy, MM Spafford, I Behm, D Hammond, GT Fong, R Borland. Positive impact of Australian ‘blindness’ tobacco warning labels: findings from the ITC four country survey. Clinical and Experimental Optometry. 2012 Nov 1;95(6):590-8.
- RD Kennedy, I Behm, L Craig, ME Thompson, GT Fong, R Guignard, F Beck. Outdoor smoking behaviour and support for outdoor smoking restrictions before and after France's national smoking ban. The European Journal of Public Health. 2012 Feb 1;22(suppl 1):29-34.
- RD Kennedy, O Douglas, L Stehouwer, J Dawson. The availability of smoking-permitted accommodations from Airbnb in 12 Canadian cities. Tobacco Control Published Online First: 20 February 2017. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053315
See all publications by Ryan David Kennedy